boiler flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I recently had a new combi gas boiler installed by a gas safe plumber, however I'm worried that the flue isn't in the right position. He originally talked about putting a vertical piece in but he went awol after installing the boiler and now isn't answering his phone etc. the valiant boiler instructions say the following

Terminal Position Min Distance
A1 Directly below an opening, air brick, opening
windows etc. 300mm
B1 Above an opening, air brick, opening window etc.
300mm
C1 Horizontally to an opening, air brick, opening
window etc. 300mm

the flue comes out of the wall about 250mm from an air vent in our extensions flat roof, is this ok? I know it isn't directly vertical or horizontal but didn't know if this would be a problem.

If it is too close is that dangerous? Is it only steam coming out of the flue or will their be carbon monoxide as well? Do I need to get a 90 degree angle fitting and a vertical piece?

Any help would be most grateful

Sponsored Links
You need to get another gas engineer, you cant touch the flue as its part of the combustion train.

Sorry

Wouldnt worry to much about it though BUT GET IT LOOKED AT asap

Sounds too close to me, can be corrected with a plume management kit if you can find someone to fit it. Are you sure he was registered? Did you see his ID card?

Yeah he was registered, checked him all out. should I contact the gas safe organisation or just get someone else in. Have you any idea the cost this would be? Judy my luck I picked a Rodney!

Thanks for your replies

Sponsored Links
By reporting to gassafe they should inspect and force him to put it right. But they are useless and will probably do nothing.

Its incorrect, but not very serious.

BUT if he will not respond, and do leave a message or write a letter telling him what you are going to do, the do report it to Gas Safe and they will inspect and decide what should be done and serve a "Defects Notice" on him and he will have to sort it out.

You should have a Blue Certificate from Gas Safe to confirm the installation is OK. This service an essential notification to Building Control and its essential you have that. Did you get it?

Have you checked the photo on Gas Safe website with your installer ??? Its not unknown for people to steal installer's identities!

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back