Boiler Fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My neighbour's boiler is not heating up water and they are using the emergency heating system at the moment. Apparently the switch goes on at midnight and off at 7.00 am but it does not heat any water. I can not see any loose cables inside the switch and I have taken a picture of what I think is the fuse box (Please see picture) where apparently there are no loose cables either. Can anyone explain to me how to remove the fuse (if there is any) so I can check it with the tester. Furthermore, can anyone explain to me how this system works?The red bit moves clock and anticlockwise but I have no idea what it does.
Help please!,
DS
//www.diynot.com/network/DodgySailor/albums/

Sponsored Links
thats not a fusebox thats a immersion heater.

the black part is the immersion stat
the red part is the stat water temp adjuster.

have you a pic of the immersion timer that comes on at 12 off at 7 ?

have you a multi meter ?

I do not have a picture of the timer as I believe the system is connected to the low cost electricity usage (same as for the heat storage heating). The red bit was set to the left when I opened the metal case, does it mean that the thermostat was set to the minimum and it is only a matter of turn it up to the right?

set it to 60 degrees c
don't mean its going to work. element maybe knackered if not used for yrs.

have you a multi meter ?

Sponsored Links
I checked again, it was already set up at 60C (I looked at the other side of the arrow). It has been used regularely for the last few years. Is there a fuse inside which I can check with my tester or do you think I need to change the whole piece?You know where can I buy the piece and how much does it cost roughly?

it might have a overheat trip..

in that picture to the right of the red disc, theres a black dot... that looks like it might be a overheat trip. try and poke it with a pencil and see if it clicks.

make sure its off first tho.

you don't appear to have much success with electrics, bud....

don't worry about any fuse.
check the stat hasn't tripped and check the element for ohms.

If you think an immersion heater is a fuse box and dont know what the red dial is, with all due respect, I think your neighbour/friend would do well to get a competent professional in.

OK, I just cheked the black hole to the right of the red temperature wheel and there is nothing there to poke. Is there any other tripping mechanism that i might be overlooking?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back