Boiler gas supply pipe sizing

Sponsored Links
16lpm is not enough for the boiler your looking at as this flow will be shared between the hot and cold. The guy whos quoted the upgrade seems to be looking to do the job correclty as many would break the regs and manufacturers instructions and not even upgrade. phone him up and tell him to price for a full 28mm gas carcus ontop of the quoted given.

whats the new showers max flow rate and the heads flow rate?

Re flow rate. Like I say with getting the lead supply pipe replaced, I’m assuming that the flow rate is going to increase a fair bit from the current 16l/min

I don't believe any of the guys I’ve spoken to are cowboys, they're all Worcester Bosch approved installers and from their websites all seem to have been in the business a fair few years. I just want to make sure that the job goes as smoothly as possible. The kitchen is one of the few rooms in our house that doesn't need redoing so it would be upsetting to have a man ripping it to pieces unnecessarily. Now I’m a bit more confident that I’m not barking up the wrong tree with the calculations and possible solutions (i.e. doesn’t matter which bits you upgrade) I'll ring the guys that have been round back and discuss. I was just a little confused this morning having rang the guy who quoted the 5m upgrade with my two original questions in this thread and him dismissing them.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice, been a big help

This is clearly DIY gas work!!

??? Yes mate, clearly. Have you actually bothered to read any of the posts

16lpm is not enough for the boiler your looking at as this flow will be shared between the hot and cold. The guy whos quoted the upgrade seems to be looking to do the job correclty as many would break the regs and manufacturers instructions and not even upgrade. phone him up and tell him to price for a full 28mm gas carcus ontop of the quoted given.

whats the new showers max flow rate and the heads flow rate?

Re flow rate. Like I say with getting the lead supply pipe replaced, I’m assuming that the flow rate is going to increase a fair bit from the current 16l/min

I don't believe any of the guys I’ve spoken to are cowboys, they're all Worcester Bosch approved installers and from their websites all seem to have been in the business a fair few years. I just want to make sure that the job goes as smoothly as possible. The kitchen is one of the few rooms in our house that doesn't need redoing so it would be upsetting to have a man ripping it to pieces unnecessarily. Now I’m a bit more confident that I’m not barking up the wrong tree with the calculations and possible solutions (i.e. doesn’t matter which bits you upgrade) I'll ring the guys that have been round back and discuss. I was just a little confused this morning having rang the guy who quoted the 5m upgrade with my two original questions in this thread and him dismissing them.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice, been a big help

This is clearly DIY gas work!!

??? Yes mate, clearly. Have you actually bothered to read any of the posts
.....and I'm not alone in thinking it!! Perhaps you should leave the gas work to the professionals that are qualified to do it.

[/QUOTE]
.....and I'm not alone in thinking it!! Perhaps you should leave the gas work to the professionals that are qualified to do it.[/QUOTE]

Haha, Oh okay, you must be right then. By your logic, any question posed about gas on a forum could be some numpty doing DIY gas work.

Sponsored Links
If you've been quoted 'X' amount to supply and fit boiler along with gas supply upgrade then it is the responsibility of the gas installer to size/install gas supply upgrade accordingly , it's not your problem.
If gas supply is undersized after the installation of new boiler and gas upgrade then don't pay the invoice ....simples..

.....and I'm not alone in thinking it!! Perhaps you should leave the gas work to the professionals that are qualified to do it.[/QUOTE]

Haha, Oh okay, you must be right then. By your logic, any question posed about gas on a forum could be some numpty doing DIY gas work.[/QUOTE]

Yup, some DaftyDIYer thinking they can save a few bob. Every second thread on this forum is the same.

Haha, Oh okay, you must be right then. By your logic, any question posed about gas on a forum could be some numpty doing DIY gas work.[/QUOTE]

A lot are, and seeing your asking about pipe sizing then yep I would say it high possibility.

If you've been quoted 'X' amount to supply and fit boiler along with gas supply upgrade then it is the responsibility of the gas installer to size/install gas supply upgrade accordingly , it's not your problem.
If gas supply is undersized after the installation of new boiler and gas upgrade then don't pay the invoice ....simples..

That plan would have saved me alot of time, have I over thought this...

A lot are, and seeing your asking about pipe sizing then yep I would say it high possibility.

I realise you're just concerned about someone being irresponsible and unsafe and I’m sure you guys get your fair share of idiots posting questions on here. But there are genuine reasons why people may ask such questions too. Sadly tradesmen are a mixed bag too and you can't just assume they are all right all of the time

Gas pipe upgrading can sometimes be done cleverly by using 35 mm near the meter where there are lots of elbows and leaving short lengths of 22 mm in situ.

But even if a little low like 2 mbar pressure loss, the boiler will work fine. The risk is solely that under the warranty the makers have an excuse not to cover it. But of all the makers, Worcester are probably the most accommodating on installation defects.

Although replacing the water pipe will certainly improve matters, I am a little concerned that, whilst you have grasped gas pipe sizing you seem not to have understood the requirement for a dynamic supply flow rate. You have quoted an open pipe flow rate! But many plumbers don't seem to understand this either so don't feel bad about it.

A shower head will only work and give that fast ejection speed, which gives that tingly feeling on the back, when the pressure in the head is still say 1.0 bar. So what is important is the flow rate that can be achieved whilst leaving some pressure in the supply to overcome the pressure loss in the boiler and shower head.

So you need a pressure gauge ( about £12 in Toolstation ) which you connect to say the washing machine supply tap and then you see what flow can be taken from the taps whilst leaving 1.0 bar on the gauge.

Tony

Hey Tony , what would you recommend to be the best option when diverting gas supply around a soil and vent stack???....
Offset gas supply pipe around front of stack?
Crush gas supply in a vice and run behind soil stack???

Hey Tony , what would you recommend to be the best option when diverting gas supply around a soil and vent stack???....

Oh that's got to hurt!

I'd go for option "c" though... holesaw on the soil, straight through (sleeved and sealed of course) and an inspection hatch above to get the blockage out every now and again.

Oh that's got to hurt!

I'd go for option "c" though... holesaw on the soil, straight through (sleeved and sealed of course) and an inspection hatch above to get the blockage out every now and again.
That is the best method as negligible pressure drop (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back