GAS SUPPLY PIPE SIZE FOR NEW BOILER

I dont know the distance exactly but the meter is on the ground foor and there is two flight of stairs to get up to the flat which is on the second floor. I would guess the distance to be approx 10 m and I think you are right about the size not being the same all the way. It looks like it is a bigger pipe going out and up from the meter.

Sponsored Links
katarina said:
Thanks for that. what happens if they would install the boiler to the existing pipe work. would I notice. Does it cause problems later on? Why do the other installers not reccommend the new pipes- is it cause they cant be bothered??

It is not a question of "recommending" an upgraded gas supply pipe!

To do an installation which meets the regulations it will be necessary to size the gas pipe correctly. Some cowboys dont bother as that enables them to give a cheaper price and get the job because you dont know the difference.

However, you can also be a cowboy householder too. Get the boiler installed by a CORGI and if the pipe is not correct you can report them to CORGi who will require them to upgrade it AT THEIR EXPENSE.

A conscientious installer tells you it needs upgrading and will only fit a new boiler to the correct supply. But that can cost more!!!

Tony

Dan_Robinson said:
In my experience i doubt it...

I doubt it too, Dan. I only said it was possible. We're not there to see what's what so we shouldn't jump to conclusions. Maybe the existing Vaillant is 28 kW and the proposed new boiler 24 kW - it's possible. A 10 metre run of 22mm would be OK for many combis, even allowing a bit more for bends, etc.

True, true... but I have learnt my lesson of optimism ...

I have yet to do the working pressure test of the 40Kw install this week. Pipe run is not long and is 22mm all the way. It should be fine and the boiler is happy, but the regs is the regs....

Sponsored Links
what type of boiler would you recommend for the size of my flat?

Depends on your hot water needs.

Run a search of the forum and you will see this one answred several times a week.

Personally we usually fit a 32kW combi and if the gas pipe is not quite right and the hot water demands not too strenuous we fit a flow regualtor and ramp the boiler down to 75%.

The customer is nearly always warned about gas pipe sizes.

Different people like differnt boilers my favourite is this. Others like Vaillant, Worcester Bosch, and Veissman.

Some hateful barstewards like Potterton, Baxi, Ravenheat, Halstead and other abortions of Satan.

The makes that the suppliers have suggested are: Raven heat, Potterton, Worcsester Bosh, Alpha and some Italian one I dont rememeber the name. What do you think of these

Dan_Robinson said:
Different people like differnt boilers my favourite is this. Others like Vaillant, Worcester Bosch, and Veissman.

Some hateful barstewards like Potterton, Baxi, Ravenheat, Halstead and other abortions of Satan.

Dan thats the first time I've seen that boiler - looks good

We tend to fit worcester and vaillant though thats more down to the customer request.

We also get a lot of customers want a Potterton and have fitted a few Heatlines recently :evil:

Anyway back on topic - Yes the gas supply needs to be 22mm for the majority of modern combi's - If its connected to 15mm gas pipe it will underperform and possibly invalidate the warranty also

Assuming you have a new Vaillant ecotec plus fitted (the best :LOL: ) then you would only be able to have a maximum of 12metres of 22mm pipe from the meter to the boiler, including any bends which count as 0.5m each. I usually install 28mm off the meter when in a flat similar to yours, but then as said we cant see it from here :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back