new gas supply pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Irecently had a gas fitter quote to replace my old boiler but i want it moving to a different location ,I had always been led to believe that a new gas copper supply pipe from the meter was required but he said you can run it from where the old boiler is .Is that correct ,p.s the old supply pipe is steel/iron.

Sponsored Links
It depends on the size of the pipe if it is 22mm 3/4 in old money it should be fine as long as it is not a massive long run.

To see what you have,
If it is copper it is measured by outside diameter so 15mm and 1/2 inch measures just that as does 22mm and 3/4 inch

Iron is internal bore so 1/2 inch pipe (despite going metric it is still measured in inches :D ) is about 3/4 inch outside and 3/4 pipe is about 1 inch outside

If it is copper it is measured by outside diameter so 15mm and 1/2 inch measures just that as does 22mm and 3/4 inch.
Not quite, copper imperial is still internal measurement, so 1/2" copper pipe has a 1/2" bore. 15mm metric pipe has roughly a 1/2" bore too.

You got me there ;) To be exact 1/2 tube is 0.596 in OD and has a thickness of 19 SWG so sayeth R N Le Fevre in the Manual of Gas Fitting so I was 0.096" out :D :D

Sponsored Links
Irecently had a gas fitter quote to replace my old boiler but i want it moving to a different location ,I had always been led to believe that a new gas copper supply pipe from the meter was required but he said you can run it from where the old boiler is .Is that correct ,p.s the old supply pipe is steel/iron.

New/old Gas pipework size is depend on what new boiler's heat input need.

Gas fitter should know about this if he is trained.

Most Combi boiler require 22mm or 28mm if it is long run.

Daniel.

Firstly thanks for all replies,sounds like i have been misinformed.Just to clarify the original iron supply pipe is approx an inch OD and connects to 22mm copper which supplies my existing boiler,that run from the meter to boiler is approx 6 meters ,5 of that is iron pipe.The run to where the new boiler is from the old boiler is another 7 meters ontop of that.

Firstly thanks for all replies,sounds like i have been misinformed.Just to clarify the original iron supply pipe is approx an inch OD and connects to 22mm copper which supplies my existing boiler,that run from the meter to boiler is approx 6 meters ,5 of that is iron pipe.The run to where the new boiler is from the old boiler is another 7 meters ontop of that.

None of that is relevant unless the size of the boiler (max Kw input) is known.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back