Gas Supply Pipe Size Query

Not with you. Who would have to pay the fee, the GSR man or the home owner?
Home owner, and cost is significant , starts around £1500, but can be a lot more expensive , when a GSR repoerts a refusal to disconnect an immediately dangerous appliance, they get a referance number, from the transporter and that is their part finished , the responsibility is now with the transporter

Sponsored Links
A lot more common than you think, but when the transporter appears and tells them they will have to pay a very high fee to get it back on they suddenly change their mind
So the answer is NO, I can't give you any details where this has happened?

Home owner, and cost is significant , starts around £1500, but can be a lot more expensive , when a GSR repoerts a refusal to disconnect an immediately dangerous appliance, they get a referance number, from the transporter and that is their part finished , the responsibility is now with the transporter
  • If your Gas Safe registered engineer identifies an unsafe situation during a gas safety check or service, they’ll follow the Gas Industry Unsafe Situations Procedure (GIUSP). Here’s what the procedure involves:
  • They’ll first look to find the cause of the issue and rectify any faults.
  • If this isn’t possible, they’ll let you know that the faults must be repaired before the appliance can be used again.
  • If they can’t correct the problem straight away, they’ll request your permission to make the installation safe by disconnecting it or turning off the gas supply to the affected part.
REQUEST YOUR PERMISSION....what if you dont give it?

Sponsored Links
No the answer is yes I could, but as I was the attending engineer I cant give details out on a website forum
when you say engineer, do you mean gas safe registered or are you an actual qualified engineer for national grid?
So this story never made the press either. I would have thought they would be pushing these stories to scare people.

when you say engineer, do you mean gas safe registered or are you an actual qualified engineer for national grid?
So this story never made the press either. I would have thought they would be pushing these stories to scare people.
why would they or anyone else, it is hardly news

That's what I assumed, and why I didn't get it it. It's the home owner who wants it kept on, the GSR man wants to cut it off, so why any change of mind?
Because they then realise it is going off anyway, if they do it voluntary the cost to restore the supply is small , if transporter cuts off , involves a dig up and cap the supply, retoring is very exensive

Because they then realise it is going off anyway, if they do it voluntary the cost to restore the supply is small , if transporter cuts off , involves a dig up and cap the supply, retoring is very exensive
OK, see what you mean

I wouldn't have thought a plastic pipe buried under a concrete floor would be much of a risk. The minimum depth could be specified. Perhaps it's the part where it emerges from the floor that's the concern.
It is. You will have seen where gas supply pipes come up outside a building and are covered with a designed-for-purpose thingy. The problem indoors is that there aren't Standards governing depths etc, so it's not allowed, flat. ish.

Gas pipe sizing has always been a bit of a mess. If you apply all the constraints (like 4mbar drop across a gas meter) then you can't satisfy all the regs. BG have always installed boilers on undersized supplies, and so has just about everyone else. The pressure drops you get are larger than the calculations say.
For reasons I won't go into, boilers aren't as fussy as they used to be, but a gas hob connected next to one can still go out if the boiler comes on and drops the pressure too much.
Another farce is that if Vlad The Installer from Eastern Polistania put in a boiler with an undersized supply and an RGI found it, it would possibly only be Not to Current Standard. No action required. But if the RGI put the thing in, he'd be in trouble.

Cutoffs? Sure - it gets more awkward when there's a tenant. Tenant stops you cutting his dangerous cooker off because he wants his dinner, and starts yelling that he'll sue the landlord for loss of facilities and demanding to be put in a hotel. You may have the landlord's permission but the tenant won't let you. He pushes you out so you call the transporter. Between you and the transporter you try to tell the tenant that the cost to turn him off underground will be down to the tenant. He doesn't care because he doesn't have any money and is behind with the rent and , , , etc. You only went there to do a gas check so you're already well late so you leave, and send the landlord the bill which he won't pay.

they dig up the road and cap of the main...you are out of touch with reality...or a fantasist..

they dig up the road and cap of the main...you are out of touch with reality...or a fantasist..
OK smart ass, the customer has refused them permission to terminate the supply, they have no legal right to enter the customers property,in this situation, so where do they terminate the supply then

Terminated!

upload_2021-11-11_15-15-0.jpeg
upload_2021-11-11_15-15-0.jpeg

OK smart ass, the customer has refused them permission to terminate the supply, they have no legal right to enter the customers property,in this situation, so where do they terminate the supply then

so instead of perhaps removing the meter (which they could have obtained on a warrant in no time at all) they decided to incur massive cost and disruption to spite an individual? mmmmmm...this is one of those situations where you need to know all of the facts...
ps did you write the steele dossier by any chance? asking for a nation state

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back