elec boiler vs new gas pipe?

i take your point the timing of the strike was atrocious
scargill was militant
the num did have too much power

but ffs you dont destroy an whole industry jus to prove a point
thatcher should rot in hell for what she and her sidekick did to this country :cry:

Sponsored Links
Cutting through all that technical COP talk and moving onto the practical realalities -:

An ASHP customer on Friday told me that the bill for the last quarter for heating her small bungalow via a ASHP was over £400!!
I know it's down to how much money you earn or that you've got, but that's not cheap to me either!
Then add the fact that the radiators take hours to warm up and don't even start to work until the H/W demand is satisfied hence leaving the customers house perishingly cold for long periods of time.
Which proves that Servotech is a plumber (using it in the derogatory sense of the word). Looking at his other posts he does give the impression of having 35 years experience of doing much the same and avoiding looking outside the familiar small box.

That post roughly translates into :
A customer has a poorly specified system, badly designed/incorrectly installed, and it doesn't work very well. Therefore, by completely ignoring design faults specific to that installation, ALL ASHPs are rubbish.

By that logic, because some people have poorly specced and badly designed/installed gas fired heating systems, all gas boilers are rubbish.

As to whether £400/qtr is too high, well I can't really comment on that. But a quick look in my file shows that a one bedroomed flat has been using (on average, over 6 years) about £150/qtr at current prices. That's average - winter will be a lot higher, summer a lot lower. That's a flat without a cold roof, cold floor, or four cold walls. I'd expect a bungalow to be considerably worse as it's possibly the worst shape to make a dwelling - maximum outside area/living space. Is it well insulated BTW ?
Given that no-one has actually claimed even an ASHP will be cheaper than or even match gas for running costs*, I'd suggest those running costs aren't necessarily bad.

As to the system, it sounds like the unit is under sized (that would account for the slow warm up) and the controls haven't been well thought out (priority to DHW rather than rads or split).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not commenting on whether an ASHP was or wasn't a suitable choice for this lady, just that the conclusion that ASHPs are rubbish because this one isn't "right" is just plain wrong.

* It would have to run at a CoP of about 4 to match gas for cost. It'll be considerably less in very cold weather when it's doing the most work.

Nothing derogatory about being a plumber.
I am a technical grade plumber (which is the highest that you can ever be in plumbing).
Our ASHP are all fitted with expert trade knowledge and are all of the finest/modern designed systems that are around today.

If you wanted to get technical about ASHP I couldl leave you at the starting block - but for this post all I'm doing is passing onto Steph some simple sound practical advice to her inquiry.

P.S. I do know of one satisfied ASHP customer (so they do exist)!!!

kevplumb3.gif

:LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Well you're back in it so that speaks volumes. :LOL:

I know one thing, if I had to choose between putting Thatcher in charge tomorrow or Scargill, it sure won't be Scargill.

I'm fully aware that its more expensive to heat water by electric boilers,
immersion heaters etc as opposed to gas, but my 750w microwave oven seems able to heats a large jug of water in a couple of minuets. So at the risk of being called a numpty or worse, can anyone give me the reason why microwave technology [that's been around for 50 years or so] doesn't seem to have been used on a large scale to give cheap electric heated water in the home.

Micorwave efficiency is less than normal heating element. A simple immersion element is nearly 100% efficient.

exept thatcher and her hit man closed all the pits :eek:
Indeed, and well said , Kev .
While it's getting very much off-topic ...

An alternative view is that Arthur Scargill did that, and Thatcher took the view that the government should dictate .
Indeed she did - and the carrot for the Working Classes was the " Right to Buy" :idea: . Never mind the "Care in the Community" and the Unregulated Banking - She sowed the wind , We are reaping the Whirlwind

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back