Boiler gases condensing in flue & dripping back down...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am at my wits end with this problem and hope there is someone out there with knowledge can help.

I moved into my brand new house 2 years ago. Shortly after, my boiler died. Upon inspection (boiler had been installed for 4 years at this point), the inside was totally rusty. It had become apparent that, somehow, water was getting into the boiler. Flue checked and was okayed by 2 plumbers.

Got a new boiler. Potterton Suprima 50L (new type with PCB not sitting on side of the boiler casing). A year in, starting to get the rust streaks down the front of the heat exchanger & evidence of where water has been pooling on top. The flue is vertical, about 1m in length with 2 bends, and goes straight through the roof. This boiler can handle flue length of up to 3.4m, apparently.

My first thought was rain water or similar. I had the boiler cover off during two bouts of torrential rain in one day (ensuring boiler was switched off), and it was bone dry.

My theory is that the gases are condensing in the flue and running back down. There is evidence of marking on the bottom (inlet) of the flue. This is surprising given the length of the flue (it does go directly out of my kitchen and through a cold loft space above to get to the roof).

Has anyone else heard of this? If so, could you please offer this desperate householder some advice? I can't afford another new boiler, albeit a condensing one now sounds like a good choice given my predicament.

The only solution I can think of is to re-route the flue horizontally out the side of the house, but this will require moving pipes, holes in walls, and re-working kitchen units etc...

Any help appreciated.

Phil

Sponsored Links
some SE boilers had an option of a condese collecting flue adaptor on top of the boiler for long runs. I don't know if this is available for your boiler, but worth finding out as it sounds like its your problem. You could try insulating the flue in the loft space as well.

Thanks for the reply. I don't think this option is available on my boiler. I will ask the plumber.

Just at a bit of a loss really as I know it shouldn't be doing it & it is damaging the boiler, but the cause of the problem is somewhat elusive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back