Boiler help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ideal Mexico Super CF 80 Propane boiler.

The unit is running for ten or fifteen minutes at a time. The boiler shuts down and the pilot light goes out. I can restart the boiler almost immediately and it will run for a short period again until it shuts down again. I hear a click from the boiler as it shuts down. When running everything is operating normaly.

I have had the gas supply checked and a new regulator fitted because I thought the problem was worse when the propane gas tank was low or the outside temperature colder. All this had made no difference so the indications are it is the boiler and not the gas flow.

Any ideas where /what I check next?

Thanks for help

Regards
Mike

Sponsored Links
I hear a click from the boiler as it shuts down.

So your boiler is overheating!

You need to figure out why its overheating

Heres some randomly numbered :evil: ideas.

7 Your boiler stat isnt turning the burner off when it should.
4 Pump is dying because its old and worn out.
1 Pump is dying and worn out because it is pumping sludge.
8 Your overheat stat is faulty and locking out too early.
69 Your burner pressures are not correct [not likely but possible and it's a corgi job]
85 There is some form of restriction in your pipework somewhere. Air, sludge , debris.
24 Your pump could do with turning up a notch if possible. This would increase flow through your boiler and perhaps get you by a bit longer.
2. Turning your boiler stat down helps as well. That's if it is working OK
13. A ventilation or flue problem could be starving the pilot of air
55. Just wanted to mention sludge again before I end the post

Apologies for random numbers I cant see the dark end of my keyboard with numbers on and just went with the flow
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Usually no over heat stat on mexicos . would go for a partially blocked pilot first

I have no MI's for cf80 but I go along with what namsag is saying there.

I did see that some later models have a flue stat which could cause a similar prob if its faulty. When working normally there will be a ten minute delay before re-lighting is possible.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies.

OK, so I am not getting a heating engineer at this time of year so I am going in myself to have a look at the burners and pilot so that we don't have a miserable Christmas.

Is this a good idea or am I going to regret it?

Rundown of the job please would be helpful

Regards
Mike

Not a good idea.

Sorry, anyone who gives a rundown on how to work on gas parts in a boiler is leaving them selves wide open to problems.

I doubt whether any registered person will help.

You say it is a conventional flue!!

There could be a stat fitted on the draught divertor to detect spillage!!

Get it checked by a RGI NOW !!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back