Ideal Mexico not firing up

namsag - There are only two leads to the gas valve therefore I assume I set everything to 'On' and check for 240V across these terminals? But how do I check if its "breaking down under use"? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Measure the coil (gas valve) resistance cold, then when the boiler cuts out, disconnect power and measure it again before it cools - bet it goes open circuit.

OK - Thanks, I'm at work presently - I'll strip it down again tonight and check - will report back ASAP.

If you keep probes on the 2 connections and are still gettin 240v and the boiler stops firing it can only be the gas valve faulty. I f you lose 240v your fault is elswhere (with boiler stat bridged out as you have done previouly)

Sponsored Links
A faulty gas valve like that is very rare.

Whilst I dont place bets, statistically its more likely to be a thermostat or other interruption to the gas valve supply.

We will have to wait and see what he finds.

Tony

OK guys here's the results so far. My wife beat me to it - got home to find she had contacted someone about it and he arrived. I explained everything and he immediately suspected the solenoid. He also reckoned the pilot light although not causing the problem looked weak. He stripped out the pilot burner and cleaned it up. Had a solenoid with him so fitted it but no change. He now reckons the gas valve itself is faulty so will get one tomorrow and fit it. I'll report back when this saga is solved........ ;)

Agile . the guy has bridged stat out and its still doing it. And mexico doesn`t have any sort of interupter. So unless he has not bridged stat out properly it can only be the gas valve or a lose wire between stat and valve

Finally got this resolved - gas valve (not the solenoid but the actual valve!). Now have lots of heat and hot water - thanks for all the advice -bring on the winter..... :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back