Boiler - hot water is hotter than usual

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boiler is a Danesmoor 15/19

For as long as I can remember the hot water in my property has taken quite a while to get hot (from when any hot water tap is turned on) but when hot is only "moderately" hot.

Yesterday I found that it was getting hotter faster, and very noticeably hotter than usual.

Nothing has been adjusted on the boiler.

However ....... this may be coincidence, but yesterday morning I removed the cartridge from the kitchen mixer tap (I wanted to check the type (a G40-03) in order to get a spare). Naturally I turned off the hot and cold pipe valves under the sink to do this. In theory that shouldn't have made any difference, but the following may be relevant: when I last had to turn the water off at the mains and empty the system (over a year ago) the only way that I could get hot water to flow in the kitchen AND bathroom was to backflush the system (put my hand firmly against the kitchen mixer tap to block the flow, turn the tap to hot and slowly open up the cold).

Before and after that exercise (over a year ago) I didn't notice any difference in hot water temperate, and this time (after checking the cartridge) I didn't need to backflush the system as I only turned off the water feeds underneath the sink.

So is the cartridge removal relevant to my newly aquired faster, much hot water, or coincidence?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
On the face of it, it would seem unlikely but there's a small chance that the kitchen tap is allowing cold water to backflow

So cold water backflowing would make the hot water hotter? Excuse my ignorance, but how does that work?

If it is backflowing, how would I stop it?

And is this likely to lead to any problems?

Also, could my removal (and reinsertion) of the mixer tap's cartridge have caused this? I'm sure I've refitted it correctly (and the cartridge is only a little over a year old).

I must admit that I was kind of hoping that my removal of the mixer tap cartridge had inadvertently fixed a long-standing problem with the water not being hot enough. :)

Take newboy's post, substitute "kitchen tap was allowing" for "kitchen tap is allowing".

Sponsored Links
If the kitchen tap is allowing cold water to backflow, is that "good" or "bad"? And how is that affecting the temperature of the hot water? Something to do with the boiler sensing that the water is colder than it is and so making it hotter?

In other words, the old cartridges were allowing cold water (higher pressure) to push into the hot water side. Now you have fixed them it could have sorted the HW problem. Maybe ?

Could but, be here is the clincher - I replaced the old cartridge with a new one over a year ago. Yesterday I removed the new cartridge to check the type and then put it back in, so other than me removing and putting back in the same relatively new cartridge (yesterday) nothing has changed. But since taking out and putting back in the same cartridge, the water is hotter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back