Boiler in bathroom - is that OK ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Years ago I was told that you couldn't locate a boiler in a bathroom because of risk of electrocution. (As long as it was a room sealed appliance there was no issue with gas.) What do the current regs say ? Is it ok to wall-mount a boiler which is exposed to anyone using the bathroom ? If there is an issue then is it ok for the boiler to be in a cupboard in the bathroom ?

Sponsored Links
Its not a recommended place for a boiler.

There are several differing views but the general consensus is that its OK as long as its placed in a locked cabinet with no associated electrical fittings in the exposed parts of the bathroom.

Tony

Thanks Tony - after posting this enquiry I found a similar question had been asked on this forum about three years ago. No cut-and-dried solution and lots of discussion about the suitabliity of appliances in certain 'Zones' but the consensus was in favour of putting the boiler in an enclosure - preferably with a locked door. This enquiry has spun out of someone asking me my views on whether they could enlarge their kitchen by moving a wall between the kitchen and the adjoining bathroom - but at the expense of making the bathroom smaller. I noticed that they have a relatively new wall hung gas condensing boiler in the bathroom but it is not in an enclosure although currently well away from any sanitaryware. If however they re-plan the bathroom when the kitchen is extended then it is almost certain that either the loo, bath or basin will be within reach of the boiler. I guess I should suggest that they have a cupboard built aound the boiler.

Fit an ATAG, they have the highest IP rating of any boiler due to the plastic outer case and no possible contact with any mains controls.

They do not need to be boxed in, unless under the shower or over the bath :eek: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Its not always the actual situation but peoples interpretation of the situation.

Many electricians will refuse to give an electrical certificate if any boiler is in a bathroom regardless of the IP rating. If its in a locked box then that will be acceptable according to the regulations. But you could still get into difficulties because of steam/humidity problems which would usually invalidate the warrantee.

My friend has a similar problem with his kitchen refit because the agressive electrician which the builder has brought in seems to be refusing to let him continue to have the boiler supplied from an unswitched socket even though its clearly allowed within the electrical regulations.

Tony

gas4u & Tony - thanks for that. I'm not sure whether the boiler was installed on behalf of the current or previous owners. Either way they should have a certificate of compliance for both Gas and Electrical installations. If they can't find the paperwork then I think that this would support my suggestion that they have a cupboard constructed around the boiler. Will contact the manufacturer to check clearances etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back