Combi to bathroom too far

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have bought a detached 1950s bungalow for our retirement that needs updating - we are looking at a new heating system, bathroom and kitchen plus some general repairs. The bungalow is of conventional construction with suspended floors and has 2 bedrooms and 2 reception rooms. The current non-condensing boiler (15 years old) is located in the kitchen which is on the opposite diagonal corner from the bathroom. If we have a combi boiler installed in the present location there will be a long run for the hot water to get to the bathroom. We use the shower twice every day and neither shower is quite as quick as it should be. Meanwhile the bathroom is long and narrow and the only external wall is all window. As such having the new boiler installed in the bathroom doesn't seem viable and there really isn't anywhere else other than the loft which I assume would bring servicing issues. Are we better to:

Have a new combi boiler installed in the present location and take the hit on wasted water?

Have a new combi boiler installed in the present location and use an electric shower?

Have a new condensing boiler but retain a water tank?

Or is there any other alternative?

Newbie, hope I have posted correctly and thanks for any thoughts. :?:

Sponsored Links
Put the Combi where the old hot water cylinder was. Very common. Flue can go vertically through the loft if needed, you don't need an outside wall.

That said, I would always favour a new unvented cylinder and separate boiler.

Nothing wrong with having a boiler in the loft provided there is a good-quality loft access, adequate lighting and floorboards to create a work area around it. The boiler should ideally be located in the middle of the house if there is demand at either end

Sponsored Links
That said, I would always favour a new unvented cylinder and separate boiler.

Thanks for the posts folks. St0rmer66, given my lack of knowledge, why would you favour an unvented cylinder?
With a combi you're limited in flow rate by how fast it can heat the water as it passes through. An unvented cylinder delivers mains pressure water (no pumps required) at whatever temperature you set it to. It also allows you to have an immersion heater for a backup if needed.

If the mains water pressure/flow into the house is poor anyway though a combi is not much of a disadvantage.

Given our relative lack of need for hot water (apart from the aforementioned daily showers), I am minded to stick with the Combi providing the water pressure is ok (tbc). The idea of locating the boiler where the hot water tank is and with a flue through the loft is a good one which will overcome my concerns over the long run.

Many thanks.

In your situation, Combi all the way in Airing cupboard,with Electric shower for back up should the Combi go down.

Most Boilers are giving a few years guarantee

Good Luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back