Boiler in Cellar??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If a condensing boiler is to be installed in a cellar with no outside wall available I know there are condensate pumps available (by Grundfos or Saniflo etc.) to lift the condensate to above, but my question is, what about the safety discharge pipe from the boiler and cylinder?

Can they also be connected to the condensate pump unit, if not, is there an alternative option available?

Sponsored Links
The general concensus is that fitting a PRV above ground level is the best option.

However, thats not strictly correct as the boiler isolation valves could be closed and create an unprotected boiler.

A condensation pump is unable to deal with the rapid discharge of up to 100 litres.

Probably the best solution is to discharge into a 100 litre tank in the basement.

Tony

I'm assuming your cellar doesn't have a floor drainage point. Therefore the discharge pipes will need to be connected to a pumped unit via a tundish (not sure if the condensate pump can do this). The tundish is to ensure you have a visual indication if water is discharged and it should be installed to ensure there is no possibility of a person getting scalded.

Thanks for the replies, will terminating the boiler and cylinder discharge pipe via a tundish into the tank comply with regs?

Sponsored Links
We use a 150litre metal cattle trough in the basement for the boiler discharge, together with a second discharge PRV above ground rated at 2.5Bar.

In this way the cattle trough only gets filled if the 2.5bar PRV above ground fails to lift for some reason.

Unvented cylinder manufacturers in my experience will not warrant the metal tank solution in writing, and strictly speaking it does not meet building regs for domestic properties. In this scenario we would specify a heatstore, which has no discharge requirement.

We use a 150litre metal cattle trough in the basement for the boiler discharge, together with a second discharge PRV above ground rated at 2.5Bar.

In this way the cattle trough only gets filled if the 2.5bar PRV above ground fails to lift for some reason.

Unvented cylinder manufacturers in my experience will not warrant the metal tank solution in writing, and strictly speaking it does not meet building regs for domestic properties. In this scenario we would specify a heatstore, which has no discharge requirement.

Thanks, do you know a reputable Thermal Heatstore manufacturer which you have used before?

We normally specify a DPS Pandora (www.heatweb.com)

I wouldn't say they are the most organised firm but the products are well thought out.

They have a wide range of options covering pretty much all applications. On our www site there is a case study iinstallation of a Vaiilant, cattle trough and a DPS Pandora.

One of the regular contributors here suggested that there were problems at DPS at the moment, haven't heard anything myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back