Boiler in trouble - replace with system or heat only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

It looks like my boiler is in trouble. I've noticed this morning that my electrics have tripped and I have isolated the fault to my boiler. I have a several year old Glow-worm. By the looks of it, it is a heat only boiler. I was thinking about a new boiler anyway, so I dont want to throw good money after bad and will look to replace it, esp if the PCB is fried.

Here's the thing. I have a thermal store, which I understand isnt like an unvented cylinder, nor a gravity fed vented system (as dont have a tank in the loft - the central heating is under pressure). In time I will want to replace with an unvented cylinder.

However in the short term (i.e. next few days) I need to get the boiler sorted. My question is that can I get a system boiler or will I have to go with a heat only. If I have to go with the latter then I am going to have a problem getting an unvented cylinder put in, in the next couple of years am I correct? Ideally I would future proof things and get a system boiler now, but not sure it will work with the thermal store?

I know I could get a combi as well, but not keen as live in a big house with 1 bath, 2 ensuites.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have a heat only boiler with a sealed heating system and an unvented hot water cylinder so it can be done if that’s what you are asking.

It is thank you. I wasn't sure if a heat only boiler worked with an unvented system because it doesn't have a built in pump. I assume therefore you can have external pumps fitted?

If you go for decent system boiler, you’ll get a long guarantee with it, which will cover all of the internal components! Including pump etc :)

Sponsored Links
I'd like to go for a system, but will it be compatible with my current heating system? The thermal store has 3 pumps in it. Ideally I would rip it out now and get an unvented cylinder in, but not sure if I can get that done within a few days. I know my usual heating engineer cant install unvented cylinders as apparently you need up to date training for this.

By the looks of it, it is a heat only boiler (Micron 60FF).

The thermal store has 3 pumps in it.

Replacing the boiler with a heat only boiler of similar heat output will be the quickest and simplest repair. If you replace it with a system boiler you would have to re-arrange the electric control system for the pumps.

which will cover all of the internal components! Including pump etc
which is true but there is still the need to open up the boiler to change the pump. A heat only does not need to be opened up to replace the pump.

And said pump won't be covered by the new warranty will it brainiac?
Why would there be a new pump, the existing system has pumps enough to operate it.

The only item that needs replacing ( or an accurate fault diagnosis and repair ) is the heat only boiler.

It is thank you. I wasn't sure if a heat only boiler worked with an unvented system because it doesn't have a built in pump. I assume therefore you can have external pumps fitted?
Yeah. I had only recently replaced my (external) pump so when they carried out the conversion in January this year including fitting an unvented cylinder, they fitted new diverter valves, digital controller and thermostat so the only thing that hasn’t been replaced in my system is my 25 year old heat only boiler. If and when that goes, it’ll just be a heat only boiler that will be required.

Im happy to go heat only.

I just wanted to make sure it would be compatible with an unvented as wouldnt want to have to change the boiler again! Thanks for the replies.

How much do external pumps cost, how easy are they to replace and how long do they last? Not enough to be a worry to me. I’ve replaced mine twice in 27 years (new one only been in a couple of years), **** easy to do and not exactly a fortune to buy.

Edit, watch out, the spelling and grammar queen is about.

Im happy to go heat only.

I just wanted to make sure it would be compatible with an unvented as wouldnt want to have to change the boiler again! Thanks for the replies.

No problem. I’m sure others will now keep this thread going with pointless bitching and arguing!

Just another q. The manual for my thermal store states if using a boiler >20kw that the pipe must be 28mm. I think mine is 22mm.

We have a 5 bed house so thought a bigger boiler would be needed and planning unvented cylinder in the future.

Daft q but could I get a 28kw boiler and just turn it down whilst we still have the thermal store?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back