Replace boiler / heating system or leave well along?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again,

Following my other thread about the water regulator I also wanted to know generally what thoughts are about the heating system and If I should invest in replacing.

I have a conventional boiler (Glow worm Micron 60FF) in situ with a Gledhill Systemate 2000 thermal store (Id never heard of these before). It's obviously not like a vented or unvented cylinder. They are both 14 years old.

The house I have moved into is much bigger than my last (3 storey, 5 bed with 2 ensuites and a main bathroom). I assume this would rule out a combi boiler due to potential demand - even a big 40kW Baxi for example?

This would leave the option of an unvented cylinder with system boiler. My current system seems to work fine, but no idea how inefficient it is compared to replacing and it is worth the investment considering the cost of replacing (?around £3k?). Or would the general consensus be to do nothing for now and wait until it breaks down and then re-look at things?

Obviously no right or wrong answer here, just after general consensus.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
My suggestion is a good clean, proper dosage with inhibitor, better controls
System good until parts no longer available.
In my books simplicity of system is far better than all singing and dancing high efficiency boilers with expensive parts.

Look at Evohome for superior control of heating system

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back