Boiler installed above a bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The gas regs don't say anything about this as I would have though the electrics would be more of a concern.

So I have a boiler installed in zone 1 above a bath - you would have to stand in the end of the bath to be in front of the boiler. The boiler has a rating of IPX4D and is not in a housing - is the allowed electrically ?

Sponsored Links
Water heating appliances are allowed in zone 1 - IF the manufacturer states they are suitable for that location.
I don't know for certain but I doubt they would state that even if they actually were suitable.

Plus - switches are not allowed in zone 1 nor zone 2 and,
of course, sockets/plugs are not allowed within 3m. of zone 1.

OMG we just need a picture of this... stood back far enough to take the whole bath and boiler in :)

Sponsored Links
My first house had been owned from new by one owner for 55years. the bathroom was 5ft long by 4ft 6" wide with the bath on the long side, the door and basin were at each end of the remaining 22" passage, bolted on the wall beside the basin and over the bath was a 36"x18" hot water cylinder with immersion heater and switch. In the ceiling at the other end of the bath was the 15" square loft hatch and beside the door [above the bath] were 2 switches for loft and bathroom lights.

In one of my rental flats the boiler was on the wall at the end of the bath [but not quite over it] but the boiler was power free. The pump was under the bath with a FCU supplied by a FCU,time switch and thermostat in another room. Every year the gas check highlighted the electrics in the bathroom as not conforming.

Last edited:
Our boiler is at the (non tap) end of the bath.

Well, to be a little more precise, the bath finishes around 18" away from the brick wall. A dummy wall has been constructed at the end of and flush with the bath. This contains the pipe work, pump etc. The top section has a couple of louver doors, behind which lives the boiler.

So far, I've resisted the temptation to stand, naked & wet, in the bath, open the cupboard door & interfere with the boiler or its controls!

Using a couple of disabled persons bath seat frames, I've constructed a platform that can be placed over the bath to allow access for servicing etc. I have no intention of moving it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back