Boiler is making a right noise. Help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Situation is -

Last night removed 2 of the radiators in the living room ready for the plasterers to start work today.

Now, the bar rating on the boiler was bottom i noticed after this. Problem is i don't know what it was (if any different) before removing.

All was seemingly fine.

Tonight just finished a few jobs off. I went to wash my hands (cold water). The Mrs then went to wash her hands but used the hot water tap. This is when the boiler started making a racket...

http://s151.photobucket.com/user/Kev_83/media/House/IMG_2113_zps60575eed.mp4.html

We couldn't leave it like that as our neighbours kids bedroom is on the other side of the wall where our boiler is kept, nor could we hang around & wait to see if it stopped. It was like that for the few minutes we allowed it.

We had no choice but to hit the switch & turn the boiler OFF. This was the only way to silence it it seemed, although i'm not convinced that this wont do more harm than good

So...

1) Why is it making this noise?
2) Aside from turning the power off to it, which isn't ideal, how do we stop it?

Sponsored Links
Pumps running dry.

Top up the pressure to around 1 bar assuming you've isolated or re fitted the rads downstairs.

Google Worcester filling loop or search the FAQs on this site on how to top up.

Question: What pump?

I wasn't aware we should've done anything extra? I just followed the guides on YouTube on how to remove & did as they instructed.

I've capped the top of the TRV off as well as the part that connects to the radiator (same on other side of radiator) & done that for both radiators.

That is ALL i've done so far.

We've found the manual. It's a Worcester Greenstar 30Si.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.

Problem (seemingly) sorted now. I followed the instructions in the following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUsBw1ZpiKY

Lot of water piddling out at first unlike in the video. Got it sorted in the end though.

Wondering why the advice was to go to 1.00 bar. Had a look at my mums boiler (different brand) & hers is at 2.00bar.

What would a knackered pump:
1) result in - as in, how would we know it's knackered, what signs etc
2) cost to repair/replace (inc labour if possible - total cost).

2 bar is a little high when the system is cold. Usually you would fill to 1 - 1.5 bar, depending on system. When the system is hot, the pressure rises.

Ah I see. Thanks.

Turns out where I've capped the smaller radiator it's leaking (not on trv head side but the other side). Not sure why as I tightened that valve up quite well as I did with the blanking cap. I've not seen it myself but wife said when she went over this morning that it was a bit wet (she'd wiped it all down last night).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back