boiler isolation valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I suspect I already know the answer to this but just wanted to check before I spend money I don't need to :D

I will be replacing the diverter valve in my Ravenheat 820/20 (yes I've read threads on how hard it is but I'm going for it anyway). Obviously I need to drain the water from both CH and DHW systems. Is there a way of me not having to touch the isolator valves? As I believe these are prone to leaking if messed with.

Can I not turn the cold water off at the mains, drain the DHW circuit from taps and the boiler drain plug and drain the central heating system without closing off the isolator valves?

Obviously, I'm trying to avoid having to buy new isolator valves in the event that one springs a leak if moved.

I know I'll need to put inhibitor into the CH again but I'd be happier doing this anyway as I have no idea if there is any currently in there!

cheers,
Paul.

Sponsored Links
yes drain system avoid touching iso valves at all costs

If your boiler is located upstairs it will be higher than any of the radiators so no draining of the system will be required if it isn't you will need to drain don't forget to open up the bleed screws on the upper rads to allow air in to empty the rads - it will save you getting wet once you start work and as been said replace inhibitor when refilling..after you have made sure there are no leaks! ;)

Sponsored Links
Little trick!

If you close all the rad valves then all you need to drain is the water in the pipework. Because most of the water is in the rads if its already inhibited you dont need to add any more inhibitor.

You only need to drain to just below the height of the boiler.

I call that a knuckle scraping task. I allow 1.25 hours and expect that it may well take much longer.

I did once speak to an Irish engineer who used to work for Ravens and could change them in 45 minutes. ( Usually ! )

Tony

As every Ravenheat I have ever seen was clearly installed by a cowboy, I'd say the chances are pretty slim that the system was flushed properly and inhibitor added afterward in your case.

thanks for the tips people.

The boiler is indeed higher up than the rads but I'm going to drain it anyway so I can make sure there is inhibitor in there.

Not really bothered if it takes all day for me to do it as I wont be sending myself an invoice ;)

Not touching anything gas related!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back