Boiler keeps cutting out after leak & no hot water

You said you turned off three valves in the cupboard ,two red handled valves are shown in your pics ,where is the third ? Your pics do not show the coils Pipework into ,and out of ,the cylinder. They must be visible to you toward the rear ,post pics and look for a vertical pipe with a fitting on the end where it terminates.

Sponsored Links
Following pipe B from the motorised valve it goes up behind the water cylinder, there is no way of me getting to it but I think I have managed to get a photo, it is not very clear as it is so hard to get to but it looks like there is a T-piece near the top end of the cylinder, with one port of it going into the cylinder and the other port seems to have a 15mm pipe connected which Goes into the loft.

I have attached a picture of the 3rd valve I turned off when I had the leak, it has no red handle but as the water didn’t stop when I turned the two red handles off I ended up turning this 90 degrees and it seemed to work.

I am not able to see any coil pipe work, I’m not even sure how it fits in as there is very little room behind the tank, as it is pushed up to the wall.

8FD31354-CCE7-4D62-912F-E96A7E2DD676.jpeg
874747A1-0426-4C18-933B-E166243A66AC.jpeg

I am not able to see any coil pipe work,
you wouldnt, because the coil is inside the tank, the 3rd valve that you closed is a pump isolation valve, you are lucky it didnt leak, they are terrible, out oc curiosity , did you bleed your magna clean ? bit of a longshot as it should be ok if the heating is working , but going by the pics of your install it is a complete mess

Oh right that makes sense it being inside.
Yeah I bled the magna clean straight away as I found that to be an issue in the past.
Yeah the whole water system in the house is a mess, that is one of the reasons we want it all replacing.
Looks like I may have to try and get some boiler cover and get it serviced in the hope of fixing it for now.

Sponsored Links
boiler cover and get it serviced i
You will need boiler and system cover and servicing it wont make the slightest bit of difference, just get a local recommended engineer in , if you say where you are we may be able to recommend someone in your area

Why not drain the system ,with the 3 port valve latched open ,and left that way whilst you refill. You may get lucky.

Yeah suppose it’s definitely worth a shot draining the system, would you recommend I turn off the taps to stop the loft tanks emptying or tie the ball cocks up and completely empty the system?
Sorry if that’s a stupid question

Don't touch those red handled gate valves ,or the pump isolators.
Tie up the ball valve on the small F&E tank in the loft ,if it does not have an isolation valve on its supply . If the water in the tank is full of crud ,clean it out before draining the system, you don't want any crud from the tank to get into the pipework.

So I went into the loft to tie the ball cocks up and started think more about where the 15mm pipe that sprouted off valve B went, after moving lots of insulation I managed to find this (pictured below), could this be a bleed valve? How does it work?
It’s pretty much butted up to the pipe next to it and in such a horrible location I don’t know how I’m going to get to it yet. But if that is what I need I will find a way.

24C31F26-ECF1-48F1-A93D-7E136C73CDB5.jpeg
3B57217E-C96C-4C1C-91D7-F4D8E9BA5813.jpeg

It certainly looks like an automatic air vent ,is there a bit that sticks out from its side ,or near the top out of view ?
If it is an automatic vent ,it may not be working !! There are many different types of auto air vents ,I personally don't recognise that one , as I can't see the bit that usually sticks up ,either from the top or out the side near the top.

56E8C7CB-EEB1-41E0-97D3-01CE6E614562.jpeg
I have just managed to get closer and there is a bit sticking out, I had a little fiddle and the bit sticking out is very loose and can be turned with the fingers. I didn’t want to twist it to much though incase I caused any damage

That cap should be loose. That's where the air can release from. You can remove the cap,below is a bit like a car tyre valve ,where air should come out of the air vent until water level rises high enough to seal it closed. It can't be working properly if it's not releasing air out the system.

just slacken the nut untill water comes out then tighten it back up again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back