Boiler Keeps on Switiching itself off - help me please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone I'm a newbie who came across this site whilst searching on google...it's a great forum and I am sure someone will come to my rescue!

I have a pressurised central heating system with a potterton boiler in the loft. Next to it is a red vessel with a pressure gauge and next to that is a pump.

Since yesterday the boiler is cutting itself out after 15-30 mins. I turned down the hot water thermostat on the water cylinder (located on the first floor in a bedroom) and it has made it a little better but at the expense of not having much hot water. It seems as though the boiler switches off as soon as hot water is turned on! The pressure is at 1.5-2 bar and the radiators have been vented.

To turn it back on i need to switch off the mains switch to the boiler, turn off the hot water and heating from the control panel/timer and then turn the switch back on and manually turn on the hot water and heating from the control panel/timer. The boiler then fires up but again for only a little while until a) the hot water is turned on or (b) until the boiler overheats and cuts out.

Also another problem is that if i turn the heating off from the control panel/timer it makes no difference and the heating carries on running - do i need a new control panel (timer)?

Any help appreciated - many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
i would be suspecting diverter valve sticking

Is the diverter the metal box connected to the pump? If so it's very much possible as the lever is bang in the middle neither on manual or auto - shall i push the switch to one side? If so manual or auto? Thanks

Start off with setting the dwh and ch at completely separate times, boiler stat at 80% of maximum, roomstat at 21 and cylinder stat at 65, and trvs at setting 3 or higher.
Run that for a day or 2 and log what happens

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back