Boiler kettling treatment

And what effect on the steel components would the chlorides in dish washing liquids have? Only asking.......as there are system silencers available albeit for more money.
It ruins the system but you get to replace it.

Can't really disagree with that Jeff!! One other thing as the resident forum's Head Bottle Washer; all my mates that work for BG are selling knock-off X400, can you please confirm Olive - the Lady Puller, can use that for washing the family bone china??

Sponsored Links
And what effect on the steel components would the chlorides in dish washing liquids have? Only asking.......as there are system silencers available albeit for more money.

Can't really disagree with that Jeff!! One other thing as the resident forum's Head Bottle Washer; all my mates that work for BG are selling knock-off X400, can you please confirm Olive - the Lady Puller, can use that for washing the family bone china??
Olive Puller PMSL

Olive Puller PMSL

Ah, you were clearly not aware of my wife's name Jeff??!! Yes, the wonderful Lady Puller is a great woman. A pillar of the community here in deepest Easterhouse - despite her bottle of gin per day!! Not only her commitment to the fallen souls of the area, she runs the household here in Puller Towers. Despite her station in life, she can be found most days down at Lidl. Yes, she cuts a figure of respectability in her fur coat.

Olive Puller PMSL

Ah, you were clearly not aware of my wife's name Jeff??!! Yes, the wonderful Lady Puller is a great woman. A pillar of the community here in deepest Easterhouse - despite her bottle of gin per day!! Not only her commitment to the fallen souls of the area, she runs the household here in Puller Towers. Despite her station in life, she can be found most days down at Lidl. Yes, she cuts a figure of respectability in her fur coat.
I love your sense of humour. Proper plumber! If you don't laugh you'll cry. Thank you Sir Richard.
Funny, really, when I respond to an answerphone message I always say" hi, it's er Jeff from ...."
My better half always says, you are not a Sir!

Sponsored Links

Olive Puller PMSL

I love your sense of humour. Proper plumber! If you don't laugh you'll cry. Thank you Sir Richard.
Funny, really, when I respond to an answerphone message I always say" hi, it's er Jeff from ...."
My better half always says, you are not a Sir!

Thanks Jeff for your kind words.

The first thing that I would want to do in a case like this is to measure the power input to the boiler.

Tony
Agile I followed the FAQ as you advised, my response was on page 1, but a few more comments were added in the mean time. When I did the test I got 0.040 x 321 = 12.84 KW. Not sure if that helps you identify anything? Seems a bit low to be me?

The Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for products normally give a good clue as to what chemicals are present in a product. You can then look these up on Wikipedia and see what the properties are. Useful for comparing branded and no-name products too..

MSDS's can usually be found on the manufacturer's website, hidden away, or you can email and ask.

PS: Yes, Fairly liquid contains salt. That's one of the reasons it's unwise to use it in your car washer bottle - it can encourage rust!

If you want to try an experiment, buy a bottle of the cheapest, runniest washing up liquid you can buy. Add a teaspoon of table salt and mix. Keep repeating this and you'll reach a point where it becomes thick, just like Fairy liquid!! Keep adding salt and it will become runny again.

Sorry OP, so you did but it was eclipsed by all the plumber talk.

The reason was to see if the boiler input power was too high as that is a common cause of kittling. But yours is fine and even a little low.

Just to be totally sure that it is kettling, has any RGI heard it and confirmed that's what it sounds like?

Tony

Agile, thanks for your suggestion. It's good that the input power is OK.

I am pretty sure it's kettling, as it sounds like a kettle boiling. It also makes popping sounds. However I am not an export, so I could be wrong .

The boiler is due a service soon, so will see ask the rgi, unless there is anything else you can suggest in the mean time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back