Boiler Leak - Damage Advice and Self-fund or Insurance?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My boiler leaked last night causing damage to my ceiling and sofa (some discolouration of the walls too).
I got an emergency call out and the leak has been temporarily fixed while a new part is awaited.
I have included some pics here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ncpXEPjibFdxESQcA

In your opinions, would I be better trying to claim off my home insurance for any needed repairs/replacements? Or should I consider covering the costs myself to avoid premium inflation?

The latter kind of defeats the object of having home insurance but I didn't think the costs to be incurred here would be sky high. That being said, the sofa suite was 2K. Hopefully it will all dry, clean and paint up well.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
It’s all or nothing in this case. If the stains on the sofa cushions dry out with no visible marks (I personally wouldn’t be worried about the stain underneath the cushions) and the ceiling/wall stains can be cleaned/painted, I wouldn’t bother claiming but if neither was an option, in for a penny, in for a pound would be what I would do. If the sofa has to be cleaned, make sure your excess is not more than it would cost to get cleaned privately.

It’s all or nothing in this case. If the stains on the sofa cushions dry out with no visible marks (I personally wouldn’t be worried about the stain underneath the cushions) and the ceiling/wall stains can be cleaned/painted, I wouldn’t bother claiming but if neither was an option, in for a penny, in for a pound would be what I would do. If the sofa has to be cleaned, make sure your excess is not more than it would cost to get cleaned privately.
Spot on.

I work for insurance companies as an emergency plumber, I would advise you not using your insurance. You will probably have an excess of £250-£400 before any pay out from the insurance, also your insurance will go up for the next 5 years. Let it all dry out and then see what the damage is.

Andy

Sponsored Links
I work for insurance companies as an emergency plumber, I would advise you not using your insurance. You will probably have an excess of £250-£400 before any pay out from the insurance, also your insurance will go up for the next 5 years. Let it all dry out and then see what the damage is.

Andy
It does usually dry out ok..A bit of water makes a lot of mess..But unless ceilings come down,stuff warps etc..things dry out ok..You have videod and photographed the damage.Wait and see,as said, before involving insurance.They are not in business to make you rich,for sure.

I went through a similar conundrum a couple of years ago.

Depending on the terms of your policy, you may be required to notify your insurer if there is any damage to your property from specific sources, such as water, theft or fire, regardless of whether you wish to make a claim or not. It's similar to having a minor bump in the car, on many policies, you're still technically supposed to report it as it affects the risk profile assigned to the individual and covers you in case someone else claims against you.

Obviously many people don't if it's a minor thing, but it's just something to consider if theres any possibility of uncovering further damage at a later date that you might want to claim for. Some things can take a while to become apparent. People have been caught out. We all know insurance companies are one of the biggest scams going and use any excuse they can dream up to get out of paying up.

Edited for grammar, had a long day.

The premium wont increase by anywhere near the cost of the repairs.

And think about all the past years of premiums

I’ve had my ceiling done 4 times in the last 24 month due to plastic plumbing installed by a professional (idiot). Each time I had to replace a section of the ceiling. I’m slowly restoring the plastic back to copper.

It’s not a huge amount of work and even getting a professional plasterer to finish the skim only costs about £100. I’ve not even considered insurance. For me I’d be looking at a £5-600 claim before I’d involve insurance.

What. About the excess..Repair cost might only be a tin of paint
Well if that's all it is then yes I am sure the OP will weigh that up.

But even when things are only a tin of paint, if it means that you end up with a nice new patch of new paint on the cceiling, but other parts of the room still in faded chintz from 2001, then I would suggest the claim needs to be for a complete redecoration of the whole room.

Sponsored Links
Back