Boiler leak following some plumbing ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all.
Was doing a bit of plumbing on the hot water this morning. Due to location, i ended up removing the hot water outlet pipe from the boiler (worcester 28CDi combi approx 2002). After finishing and turning water back on, I had water ****ing out everywhere, not from the new plumbing, but from the boiler.

Upon a closer inspection, it appears to be coming from the water to water heat exchanger on the hot water outlet side. Its a pig to see, but the leak appears to be coming from where the heat ex meets the outlet pipe (see arrow in photo) rather than the exchanger itself.

Any ideas how to fix? I am struggling to even see how this pipe is connected to the heat ex without dismantling it. It almost looks like a push fit? What seals it? an o-ring?

Have I just been unlucky in that unscrewing the hot water pipe has applied a twisting force on this connection which has caused the leak.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/136927743@N06/Zp41T6
https://www.flickr.com/gp/136927743@N06/042W4f

Sponsored Links
Heat exchanger needs to come out and new orings fitted.

Shyte design on a mediocre boiler. But probably the best Wooshitter Botch have come up with for a good while.

Thanks for the info Dan. Thought it might be. Anyway, that's much better than needing a new heat ex.
Are these o rings a custom size, or am i likely to be able to pick them up from a diy shed? Guess I'll find out soon enough :)

I didnt choose the boiler, it was here when i moved in :)

Sponsored Links
Just make sure that the unions are meticulously clean and assemble with a smear of silicone grease

Just to follow up. orings replaced, leak fixed and the nagging has now reduced back to normal levels :)
Cheers for the advice guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back