Boiler leaking when switched to central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

We have a Potterton Performance 24 Eco HE - not sure how old it is as we moved in to the house in December, but don't think it's very old.

Not had the heating on all summer, but the boiler heats the hot water and we haven't had any problems with that. When I tried to turn the heating on today, there is a very noticable dripping of lukewarm water. The pressure is reading at 0.5.

Is this something simple I would be able to look at myself, or should I get a professional out? Grateful for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Where is the leak from?

A pic may help. ;)

Your pressure needs to be approx 1.2. Leak will probably need to be sorted before you can maintain correct pressure.

Just putting kids to bed, so no time to find digital camera.

There are about 6 nor 7 pipes - it's coming from the one furthest to the right, which is also the one that protrudes most to the front. It's the only one made of plastic.

Could be a leak form the Condense drain or syphon - boilers condense much more in Central Heating Mode! ;)

Sponsored Links
Yes, condensate if from plastic pipe.

It may be leaking from the joint where pipe connects to underside of boiler. You could check to see if the nut is tight enough.

Failing that, maybe crack in pipe, or bad joint.

Well, I opened her up to see what I could see, but nothing immediately apparent. Except for a dead mouse, which didn't seem to have done any damage. If someone comes out for a service and inspection would that cover replacement pipe cost, or would there be a small/large charge?

A service is a service. Does your boiler need a service?

If it does, fine. Get him to diagnose the leak at the same time. Unless it's very trivial, it will probably be extra, depending on what's involved.

If you're not due a service, get a recommended (friends, family, colleagues are best for recommendations) plumber to sort the leak. You need to know that it's not going to cause damage to your boiler or home.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back