Boiler located in small hut next to house

Sponsored Links
so WHAT is unsafe then? building looks sound, pipes are ok - there could always be leaks anywhere in a gas pipe, so cannot be shed related, and what is to be done to remedy the (undefined) unsafe aspect?????

Any idiot can see it's unsafe. There's only one bolt at the top. Needs bolt on bottom to be double the size of the one at the top as it's open flued.

Sponsored Links
tks Tony,

but have a neighbour in my present street who told me horror story about condensing boiler,

I can tell you horror stories about anything!

The guy who went to buy a newspaper 200 m away and never returned!

Re above posting, its called "selective deafness"!

Your boiler is classified as At Risk. With a cert from an RGI ( £65 ) it should enable you to negotiate a price reduction of £2500 for a boiler replacement costing £1600 !

Tony

No way could a good RGI supply & fit a boiler for £1600 in said property :confused: , even if the existing system/controls comply the installer will still have to spend time cleaning system out along with alterations to pipework , replace pump/MVs as a matter of course , not forgetting the boiler house/hut was possibly built AFTER the existing boiler was installed , really better off NOT quoting costs on here as the OP may expect £1600 as the norm & think the next guy that quotes fro the job is ripping him/her off.......................would be hard pressed to fit a vaillant/worcester for £1600 in a bedsit. :rolleyes:

The nearest part of the flue should normally be at least 600mm from the house wall.

600mm? , any open flued appliance up to 70kw (type B) should be 1500mm or greater from building/structure &/or terminated above roof level.

I said "at least 600" because I could not remember the exact figure.

But it seems nor can you!

My interpretation of BS5400 and BS5440 is that the minimum figure is actually 2300mm!

Tony

My interpretation of BS5400 and BS5440 is that the minimum figure is actually 2300mm!

Tony

i agree, installing these things anywhere near bridges is just dangerous

lolz

Tony

600mm is a far cry from 1500mm. :rolleyes: & in any case all open flued gas appliances (types B11/12/21/23) should terminate above roof level/structure & NOT where you suggested.

2300mm applies to SOLID FUEL , 1500mm applies to open flued gas appliances UPTO & including 70kw.............2500mm for said gas appliance above 70kw.

BS5400?................ :D

You have to remember other gas engineers visit this forum. :p

600mm is a far cry from 1500mm. :rolleyes: & in any case all open flued gas appliances (types B11/12/21/23) should terminate above roof level/structure & NOT where you suggested.

2300mm applies to SOLID FUEL
, 1500mm applies to open flued gas appliances UPTO & including 70kw.............2500mm for said gas appliance above 70kw.

BS5400?................ :D

All I can say is that my Viper book which quotes it as aplicable to gas flues!

BS 5400 Pt 1 1990 and 2000 is shown as applying to older existing installations ( although there are few differences ).

As well as the minimum 2300 from the wall it needs an upstand of 600.

Tony

As hansthebear pointed out , BS5400 applies to bridges/steel structures. :LOL:

BS 5440 pt 1 & 2 state 1500mm & NOT 2300mm for natural draught terminal locations in respect to pitched roof/roof structure (upto 70kw)...............whichever way you look @ it your opinion on the OPs flue termination not only contravenes regulations but shows assesments should be put in place sooner rather than later.

I don't hold the Viper manual , maybe someone else on here can varify your claims?..............

All I can say is that the Viper Book quotes BS5400 beside BS5440 on several of the open flue pages!

They dont usually get many things wrong!

If you do a Google on "BS5400 flues" then you get info on flues from BS5400.

I have more interesting things to do than chasing paper trails!

Perhaps you have time to take it up with British Standards. They are close to Chiswick Park tube station.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back