Boiler located in small hut next to house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Intend to buy a detached house - has gasboiler in shed/hut just next to ourside wall, access via a door to the hut (size just enough for a boiler, overall height around 1.5 m), vent/flue just just out above the roof of the boiler hut). There is about 2 m space between house wall and fence to neighbour. Am not sure if this is covered by regulations, my surveyor was not clear about this either (???!!!), any suggestions, who do I check with? Council? or is it OK in any case, tks in advance

Sponsored Links
If you could get a photo that would help.

It all depends on what boiler it is.

Well i have relocated my nagging old boiler to a similar outside area.
Peace and quiet reigns again, anyone interested in taking this nagging boiler off my hands for a small fee.
Good for keeping stray animals and burglars away.

tks for reply, posted a photo in my album, not sure that is the best way to upload photo, but hope it makes situation clearer, guess it should be ok from glance at similar posts, but better safe than sorry

Sponsored Links
I`m not Gas Safe reg. but it doesn`t look right to me - I would reduce the price you offer to allow for a new boiler fitted appropriately and if the rest of the system follows suit from the weird boiler "house" I would consider that carefully too :idea:

Looks wrong,flue should terminate higher up,higher than roof level.
get £6000 knocked off price then if you still buy,get new boiler exchanged BEFORE you move in.

113000_112738_35084_17776579_thumb.jpg

Its not only incorrect but unsafe.

For starters there is inadequate ventilation + the vent that is there is not suitable.

The flue is too short.

I would class it "At Risk" Are they claiming to have had it serviced recently?

It needs sorting before you buy it?

Ask a local "Gas Safe Engineer" to check it for you..forget the council

tks again for the hints, though vendors claim it is like that for 25 years, they put in an Ideal Standard Mexico 135 into same hut (held previous boiler) when they bought the property then, no probs ever, and my neighbour has a flue coming out just sideways above a patio door from his kitchen (which is on the side of the house facing my house), that is basically just a short piece of pipe about 20 cm long sticking out of the wall.....building regs give drawings of all sorts of locations for flues, on side, roof etc, don't always seem to be particularly long pipes going all the way to the roof

though vendors claim it is like that for 25 years

Still unsafe, makes no difference how long its been there.

no probs ever,

They haven't had it checked by anyone who knows what they are doing, its unsafe.

and my neighbour has a flue coming out just sideways above a patio door from his kitchen (which is on the side of the house facing my house), that is basically just a short piece of pipe about 20 cm long sticking out of the wall.

Two different types of flue, your neighbour has a room sealed/ balanced flue. The flue in the picture is a open flue.

.building regs give drawings of all sorts of locations for flues, on side, roof etc, don't always seem to be particularly long pipes going all the way to the roof

For what type of flue have you been looking at. not all flues are the same.

I will say it again.

Forget the council
Forget what next door has got.
Forget what the vendor says.

Ask a local "Gas Safe Engineer" to inspect it and he will be able to give you a safety certificate or a unsafe situation notice.

tks for all the replies, still not sure what should be unsafe, also moving the boiler would be enormously disruptive as rest of house is in 1A condition, no chance to rip up floors etc, how can one make the boiler safe in its present location?

The nearest part of the flue should normally be at least 600mm from the house wall.

The boiler compartment will normally need high and low level ventilation.

It would usually be possible to have a new condensing boiler fitted for about £1600.

Tony

tks Tony, but have a neighbour in my present street who told me horror story about condensing boiler, needed new pipes as old ones did not fit (too narrow if I remember), also could condensing boiler be in a (maybe better or adjusted) hut. It is solid brick construction after all. And apart from that i read somewhere that the old boilers should be kept if at all possible as they are much more solid/reliable. Just keep a spare burner as that is the most crucial part

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back