boiler location - a minefield??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm trying to decide what to do with a new boiler.

I've had lots of contradictory information about what can be done etc..

I have a back to back terrace with 3 floors plus basement
One guy wants to put a Worcester 24 into my basement and then to get around the 30cm above ground level flue problem run an internal flue into my living room (come kitchen) and then out of the house. boxing it off. this sounds ok.. as boiler is out of way but a bit messy. He wants 1900 for that and the amount of pipework is minimal.

The alternative is in the toilet (separate room to bathroom) upstairs installing it. but this requires running a load of extra copper pipe. Both quotes say this is ok. at about 2100.

The problem i have with this one is that the guy says you need 600mm clearance in front of the boiler for regulations, so he would have to hang on an internal stud wall which i don't think is that strong. Whereas the other said, fine on exterior wall facing in and didn't even mention the 600mm which it wouldn't meet.

Don't even get me started in British gas who quoted on a boiler flue combination and location that does not meet any building regs going.

If i buy and then i discover that it contravenes a building reg etc.. is there any comeback.. i don't want ot pay good money unless its totally legit and bombproof. It seems like a minefield.. It probably is a minefield!

Anybody in Leeds want to quote?

Cheers for the advice!

Matt

Sponsored Links
the boiler specific instructions must be adhered to when installing so the bloke who said about the 600mm clearance sounds like he has read them or at least fits that type of boiler regularly and knows wat is wat. the boiler in the basement option sounds easier but the flue, IF boxed in must have access points so it can be inspected on a service or gas safety check... instructions will also state max length the flue can be and how many bends elbows etc............wat boiler have you been quoted for?

Guy has come back to me and said he can fit it above the toilet which gets around the clearance issue and stud wall issue which is a good option.. He says a Remeha avanta 28Kw which i think is ok and has 5 yr warranty.

Sounds like a more standard job than the bodge of sticking the flue through floor which the other guy quoted 1900 for a worcester 24.28?... although it would be good to have the boiler in the basement its not like i use the wall above the toilet.

£ 2050 for the Remeha - with a gas feed from basement to 1st floor needed and about 6m of extra plastic piping to connect in to this room with hot water pipers. sound alright?

Think i'm fairly happy anyway.

Cheers Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back