Boiler Location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Would appreciate the benefit of your experiences on the relocation of my boiler to the loft. ( easy-ish access)

I'm in a small 1980 bungalow, the roof is felt and tiles with good sofit ventilation and brick air vents at the top of the gable end.

My existing pot flam 40 is currently in the kitchen and rather old.

As all the tanks, pump and valves are in the loft, ( no weight on roof joists! ) it would seem the right place to put it, freeing up space for new kitchen units.

There is space in the loft to allow the correct head to the boiler/header tank

Would a boiler in my loft cause any problems from condensation etc caused by the heat from it, or anything I have not thought of ?

Any comment on new boilers, not combi, would be welcome - I was going to get another pott but with all the pcb troubles the glow worm hx seems an alternative ?

many thanks

Richard w.yorks.

Sponsored Links
Don't like glow worms!

Installing a boiler in loft entails lots more regulations.

Permanent loft ladder needs to be fixed in loft hatch

Loft boarded out between loft hatch and boiler

permanent loft light installed

hand rail around loft hatch

If you're happy to pay for and comply with all these then I would recommend a system boiler and eliminate the header tank completely. I would look at the Vaillant Ecotec Plus 615 ;)

Should be no probs with condensation etc

Hi

Thanks for that - didn't fully appreciate the loft safetyrequirements but apart from the handrail most already there.

Did just wonder why you don't like glow worms - their standard boilers seem so simple compared to the other 'better' makes?
I generally assume the simpler the unit the less failures - given that the basic materials are sound.

thanks

Richard

it's a personal thing. I think they are very cheaply made. They are owned by Vaillant and are generally the 'poor cousin'.

Say all that though they do sell a lot and are quite good for the market they are aimed at.

I only fit top of the range quality boilers so I am a bit biased.

Sponsored Links
There is no such thing as a simple boiler any more.

I do appreciate that in many modern dwellings the loft seems an attractive option at installation time, but in future years you will be very tired of pulling down the loft ladder to go and press the reset button. Make sure a filling loop and pressure guage is installed in the lived in part of the dwelling.

Paul Barker said:
I do appreciate that in many modern dwellings the loft seems an attractive option at installation time, but in future years you will be very tired of pulling down the loft ladder to go and press the reset button. Make sure a filling loop and pressure guage is installed in the lived in part of the dwelling.

I agree
Mine is in the loft, ok I do go in the loft on a regular basis, for suitcase etc.
I always check the boiler (only had to reset once in 3years so far).
Whilst its nice & out of the way, when Im old (older) wrinkly will I be able to get in the loft. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back