Boiler Loosing Pressure FAST!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've been reading about on the net trying to find out why my Girlfriends Boiler has started loosing pressure...

I think its a combi Boiler, but thats all i know about it at the moment..

Basically her gas is on a meter, so she needs to top it up with cards every so often. She's usually on top of this, so it never usually runs out, but one day last week the gas ran out. Later that day she went out got more Gas and topped up the meter.

Now whenever we run hot water, the boiler makes a terrible noise, kinda like a plane flying over the house..

So i checked the boiler and the pressure is very low (about 0.7).

The Heating and hot water still work fine, no problems (except for the noise).

I called my dad and he told me about filling the boiler back up (with one of the valves on the pipes (as you can tell im pretty new to this, hence not knowing the technical terms :p )). The pressure went back up to about 1.5 but later that night (only about 5 hours) it had dropped back down to 0.7.

Have tried filling it up again, and again it drops within a few hours..

From reading the forums and other places, a loss of that much pressure usually means a leak, and with losing that much water so fast, i would expect to see some damp/wet patches somewhere (near radiators/boiler) but cant see any..

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Robbie

Sponsored Links
see if there is any sign of water outside by the pipe coming off the boiler and goes outside its a safety valve but can fail and open up lower than the 3 bar it should open at,have you closed loop afterb filling,a expansion vessel fault maybe

Have closed the valve after filling, and as soon as ive closed it i can see it dropping...

Guess if its getting rid of the water from the pipe outside the house ill see it coming out fast(ish) as can see the pressure dropping if i stand there and look a the meter...

If the water is getting released outside, is there anything i can do? or would i need to call someone it to fix?

Robbie

ITs a new valve there not dear,get a corgi reg firm in and your looking around £70 but you could do it yourself if your at all diy minded,name of boiler?

Sponsored Links
just call the landlord and let him sort it out
i take it you mean there is a "token"meter, also called card meter.
call your supplier, bound to be british gas, tell them you want a normal meter
once you have that, change to a cheaper supplier total excercise could knock 40% of your bill

Its not a Token meter as such, she has a card which she tops up (say put 40 quid on) and then puts that into the meter..

Its her house, so no landlord :/

Filled the boiler up when i got home, she was outside looking at the "release pipe". Saw the pressure drop in the boiler (went from 1.5 to 0.7 in about a 1 min...) No water came out the pipe..

Boiler is a Britony combi 100.

Robbie

Card meter is officially called token meter, very rare in owner occupied premises, but advice still stands of course.
Definitely a leak. Sandwich bag with rubber band over prv outlet and you will know for sure whether it leaks or not.
Next most likely is a compression joint that has come loose. Only way to find it is to reveal the pipes I’m afraid.
Start with the downstairs ones, you are right about the assumption that you would see it if you loose that much water, hence upstairs is less likely.
I take it you have already checked everything that is visible with a magnifying glass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back