Boiler loses pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Isar HE30 - I know, never mind!!

Before Xmas, it sprung a leak inside and at the pipe outside when the pressure got high. Had an heating engineer in, who replaced 'bits/valves' in the boiler and now no more leaks. When he tested before he left, he noticed that the pressure crept up to almost 3 bar, so suggested changing the pressure release something or other. Left to get parts, but since then the pressure has behaved - well sort of.... I have a new problem which is even baffling the engineer (he now didn't feel the need to change the pressure release thingy):

The boiler loses pressure overnight and half way through the day. When I get up in the morning, although the central heating should have switched on, it hasn't because the pressure is zero. I have no leaks anywhere. To get my central heating on, I run the hot tap and then the central heating kicks in and the pressure climbs to about just under 2 bar. From then on it works perfectly until half way through the day, the pressure will fall again, so I turn on the hot tap and then the pressure builds again.

Most bizarre - anyone any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Engineer might be a bit of a dumbass, but we'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he needs to check the expansion vessel and then change PRV.

He was going to change the vessel. Apparently with the HE30 model, the vessel is an absolute nightmare to get to - not much space, located at the top at the back, so he was going to put an external one and tap into the boiler - if that makes sense. But as the boiler pressure is not going high any more, he felt it wasn't necessary.

I described the problem I now have with the pressure going to zero and he was flummoxed. He's giving it some thought/asking around. This guy is a supervisor with a reputable well known Essex CH company, so I'm pretty surprised he don't know what's going on tbh.

Does the vessel need checking or replacing? I know that's a big ask without you looking at it!!

And as for changing the PRV (which I presume is the pressure release valve), is it an expensive fix?

I realise it's a crap boiler that I must replace, but it's not a good time right now. I have already spent £150 on the last visit, expect to spend the same again on the next, just sick of paying out when the problem isn't totally solved., which is why I want to pick your collective brains!!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back