Boiler maintenance & low cold water pressure - help plea

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Here is my tale of woe so far - get a cup of tea - its a bit long....

Trianco oil boiler (external 100/115) was coughing and spluttering a bit but working - so I thought time for a service.

Called the supposedly most reputable boiler engineering company locally. Came out - serviced the boiler - nice fella. He cleaned baffles/replaced nozzle etc and I saw the boiler with the cover off working fine with a steady burn.

That night - no heating, went outside and the boiler had cut out - restarted, all fine until I put the cover on it - it cuts out after 30 seconds. Repeated this twice more - seems to be an airflow problem....I wedged the cover off to increase airflow and keep the boiler running which it did.

Phoned the company they were unconvinced....they eventually sent another guy round 2 weeks later, he came, he looked, he seemed uninterested in the airflow issue I mentioned. I went out. Missus told me he said the boiler needed servicing - he was informed it was serviced two weeks ago. He then said the expansion vessel had gone.

Missus told me - made me suspicious - expansion vessel looked ok to me and I didn't see that it needed changing. I have a cylindrical expansion vessel on my hw tank and a large circular one on the side of my boiler - its that one he was after changing.

I also found a damaged photocell on top of the boiler....cover wedged off again for 4 weeks, had two visits both claiming to have brought the wrong part. Well on one he did - brought a tiny expansion vessel compared to the one fitted. I also told the engineer the wrong nozzle size had been fitted and asked could that be the problem - a 1.1 was fitted rather than the 0.8 previously - according to the burner manual the maximum size was a 1 gph

I work away a bit...engineer came round yesterday - fitted new expansion vessel.....I came home last night. Heating ok, cover on.....however the water pressure is much lower on the cold side particularly - my upstairs loo cistern will not now fill and my upstairs shower is useless.

I have no confidence in these guys to come and fix any more problems - and I'm sure I will be "negotiating" soon about their bill..... am an engineer but not a plumber - anyone tell me the possible reason the cold water pressure has dropped and how to fix it?

Cheers - and thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
is your cold water probs from storage or mains fed. if storage check check tank, press ball crane up n down if water entering tank, all ok there.
if mains fed a valve somewhere has to be shut. awrrabest

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back