Boiler Mate OV - hot water TOO hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Daughter and Son-in-law have moved into a house with a Boiler Mate OV, and the domestic hot water is coming out far too hot.

It seems a very complicated system, and I can't see a thermostat to turn down the water temp. The user instruction say that to get the maximum efficiency out of the system, the boiler thermostat should be kept at maximum. That seem a but daft to me, but in the absence of a stat to set the domestic water temp, how do you turn in down?

Anybody familiar with these things?

Sponsored Links
How hot is too hot ? these are set at 52c with no way of changing the dhw temp, have you measured the temp of the water ?

I'm afraid that you cant adjust the water temperature through the gledhill.. On these things consider yourselves lucky that you get hot water, they ain't the best of things... As you have already said, over complicated for what they do...

The only real way that you could adjust the hot water temperature would be to have a thermostatic blending valve fitted so that you can turn down the temperature of the hot water

I haven't actually measured the temperature, but I would scald myself if I tried to wash my hands under the hot tap.

They have a wee boy, who is just approaching one, and once he's mobile, I'm scared he'll hurt himself if he tries to wash his hands on his own.

What would happen if I turn the boiler temperature down? I know the instructions say don't, but what if I did?

Sponsored Links
The blending valve is the only sure solution.

It is almost a building regulation requirement if there are vulnerable people living there ( old, very young etc. ).

Cost about £50 to buy and perhaps £80 to professionally install although quite easy as a DIY job.

Tony

All the ones round here having a blending valve fitted from when the house was new. If a builder doing a whole Estate can do it, I'd hate to meet the cowboy who fitted yours without one!

Stormer, that particular model was never fitted with a blending valve... Other more costly units had them fitted...But builders don't like that word. I do agree with Dan on the hot thing.... They only do it once. When I was a nipper our hot water was heated by solid fuel and would come out of the tap at near boiling point... I still have all of my skin but the lead from the pipes has made me a little freaky

All the ones round here having a blending valve fitted from when the house was new. If a builder doing a whole Estate can do it, I'd hate to meet the cowboy who fitted yours without one!

It WAS a builder doing a whole estate! I can't see the logic in fitting something so expensive, when a simple system would suffice. I thought builders were only interested in profit!

Gledhill used to sell them to builders for peanuts just before going bust... Then reopened selling spare parts...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back