Boiler needs replacing after bleeding

Sponsored Links
if boiler has a pump overrun, or you've got trvs on all the rads, the by-pass will need to be open a little, if not it can be closed

I'm guessing that by pump overrun you mean that when the thermostat turns the boiler off, the pump keeps running ? If that's right then no, it doesn't have that facility & I have no TRV's on any of the radiators.

So I'm definitely OK leaving this valve shut then ? ( Can't you tell I ain't too happy with anything gas :eek: )

Some boilers are more efficient when the water returning to them is not stone cold. The bypass may be there to bleed a little hot water back to the boiler to increase the return temperature. I would just crack the valve open a little.

Well, I thought I had got away with it after the help from this board but unfortunately no. :cry:

I finished work really early today & I got home at about half-twelve to find out that the heating had gone off ( Our lass had turned it off at the room stat coz even though the boiler pump was running, there was no hot water in the pipes ).

I went upstairs to see if it was anything stupid and was confronted by a boiler pump running, boiler flame out and water dripping from the bottom of the boiler :eek:

I instantly turned the gas off at the boiler, turned the boiler off and drained the system. Luckily, it can't have been going for long coz it's only mildly caught the carpet and flooring. Lots of time has been spent with a hairdryer and heat-gun let me tell you :rolleyes:

Would I be right in guessing that the boiler overheating before has probably wrecked it internally ? Looks like I am going to have to see how much a new boiler and fitting will cost. Thankfully, we're expecting a bit of cash shortly from an insurance payout for something unrelated, so I suppose it won't hurt That much.

I'm hoping that a m8 can do me a deal on fitting a new one.

Thanks as always

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back