Boiler noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

We've got a Worcester Bosch combi boiler which I guess is around 8 yrs old. It has started emitting an intermittent noise. It varies in loudness but can be quite loud, other times its just as quiet as normal. If it makes sense. i'd say it sounds like a noise coming from something that is spinning, ie a pump or something? I've taken the front panel off and listened carfeully and i'm 99% certain the noice is coming from the top of the boiler, near where the flue outlet is and not from the bottom of the boiler where the pump and all the pipes run from/to.

Can anyone suggest what this could be and how is the best way to start sorting it. I'm concerned we'll get charged if we call out a plumber and when he arrives it wont be making the noise!! But we do need to get it sorted as with winter around the corner, I don't really want to find its packed up competely one day!!

Sponsored Links
Go for a Worcester fixed price repair you have a decent boiler and the service that they can provide for their own products is very hard to beat by an independent

Sponsored Links
Go for a Worcester fixed price repair you have a decent boiler and the service that they can provide for their own products is very hard to beat by an independent

Unless it is a Junior, or i ;)

I dont find that Dan I cant buy the Heat Cell for the Junior greenstar for less than £400 but WB will do a fixed price supply and fit for about £270 I cant compete with that maybe it is different for other areas but I certainly cant compete with the service that they provide here

Ian

Unless it is a Junior, or i ;)

I dont find that Dan I cant buy the Heat Cell for the Junior greenstar for less than £400 but WB will do a fixed price supply and fit for about £270 I cant compete with that maybe it is different for other areas but I certainly cant compete with the service that they provide here

Ian

I was referring to the "decent" bit ;)

regardless of your model Andrew as said Worcester provide an excellent after sales service and very hard to compete with, your problem might be something trivial but completely up to you where you procede, you came on here looking for advice and I have given you my best advice good luck hope you get it sorted out

Ian

Cheers Ian,

I have no problem with the boiler model, as I say, we've had it at least 8years, probably longer and we've never had a single problem with it in that time. I know nothing about boilers but most other things these days don't last that length of time without needing repair of some sort or complete replacement, so we're happy with it.

So do I contact WB directly - I should head to their website next....?

either way , you will get the same deal by phone or by their website and your boiler will be guarenteed for a year from their visit, bit of a no brainer as I see it and yes does me out of work but I always recommend this to my customers unless its a simple repair

Thanks Ian - we seem to find that giving people the best advice for them, even if it does you out of work on that occasion, pays dividends in the long run, as they'll call YOU next time they do need something doing, or they'll recommend you to a friend and you'll get work that way. So well done for the attitude.

I'll be contacting WB today. :)

I would recommend that you wait until it stops and then call an independent to diagnose. Have a local engineer selected in readiness though.

It is probably the fan and if so an independent should only charge about £200 ( meaning I would! ) which will be cheaper than Worcester.

In fact most of the problems on those older models are not expensive for an independent to fix.

Its the later models where the PCBs often fail and the parts are expensive where Worcester repairs become worthwhile.

In fact unless someone knew what the problem was it would often still be better to call an independent first on the newer ones as many problems are simple like blocked pressure switches.

Tony

Tony - when you say "wait until it stops" do you mean wait until the noise stops? Or wait until the boiler stops working?

Do the boilers have a fan to remove the exhaust gases? With the noise coming from the top, near the flue, I wondered if that's what it could be - but I've not idea whether they have such a thing...

well its progressed.... boiler has stopped working now. flashing light says its a air flow fault, so to my ignorant mind, that suggests fan was making a noise and its not stopped working altogether.

the noise has stopped though... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back