boiler noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a baxi bermuda inset 2 boiler which is now 10 years old,i have recently had banging noises form the boiler, i have put sludge remover in and flushed the system and added noise reducer,but still banging away seems to get worse the longer it is on ,can anyone advise please :(

Sponsored Links
Please would you describe the rest of your system?

E.g., open vented or not? Number of rads? Roomstat or not? TRVs? Pumped and/or gravity? Motorised valves? Cylinder stat? Bypass? Pressure (if a pressurised system)?

how long has it been on before it starts banging? if its been on a while maybe the thermostat isnt cutting it off causing it to overheat

Sponsored Links
higgy1909 said:
the system is gravity has 7 rads not open vented no room stat or motorised valves has clyinder stat
I don't see how you can have a sealed gravity system with a cylinder.

I suspect that your system is actually open vented, in which case it's a candidate for being air locked, or blocked, or the pump being worn or inoperative, or any permutation of the above.

Do you have any chemical inhibitor in the system?

I reckon we could run a little betting book on here. I think pump would be evens, possibly odds on!

Mark

Milk, no sugar ta.

Obviously central heating not my thing,system is open vented,had new pump fitted last year,have recently replaced 2 rads,noise reducer in system at precent.If air locked, is it just a case of venting all rads ?

higgy1909 said:
If air locked, is it just a case of venting all rads ?
Usually, but whatever happens you need to eliminate air in the rads, then the rest of the system.

Also, if you have a vent above the boiler, or anywhere near the cylinder, then open those and bleed out the air.

Do all venting without the pump running, otherwise you risk drawing air into the system instead of letting it out.

Have vented system,no sign of air,do have one rad, that will not vent,have fully undone ,but no sign of any water,rad works fine when on. Also have been informed,that my problem could be heat exchangers,is this a possibility ?

higgy1909 said:
Have vented system,no sign of air,do have one rad, that will not vent,have fully undone ,but no sign of any water,rad works fine when on.
In that case turn off the heating, then turn off both valves, then remove the vent plug and clear it out. Replace, open valves vent, then turn on the system.

higgy1909 said:
Also have been informed,that my problem could be heat exchangers,is this a possibility ?
So what did your "informant" say might be the problem?

Have you checked that the cold feed (from the F&E tank usually to the base of the cylinder coil) is not blocked?
Did the system fill up properly after the rads were changed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back