Boiler not firing up after refill...help please

That's brilliant.. don't suppose your an expert on TRV's too are you? So grateful for your help mate..!

Most TRVs jam internally one time or another severely restricting the flow of water through the radiator. They are all similar in construction/problems. Remove the head (undo the securing ring/screw clip/whatever). Underneath you'll see a pin about as big as a biro nib, DO NOT PULL THE PIN UP! It should have approx 3-4mm of travel up and down. Use a spanner or flat tool to press on the pin with your hand to see it theres any movement. If there is keep pushing down and then let the valve spring back up till you get it free as possible. If the pin is stuck GENTLY tap the pin SQUARELY on the end to free of the stuck mechanism in the valve body. Don't get too heavy handed as you'll burr the end of the pin or bend it, then its new valve time. You can do all of this with the heating on, as hopefully you'll feel the hot water come through as it frees off.

If the TRV is over 15 years old change it anyway! The sensor head is probably well out of calibration and the body may stick again soon. Good luck (y)

Sponsored Links
It's a brand new Drayton TRV that I had free with the radiator. I've had it off and turned it on to make sure that it does flow, I've flushed the system with every radiator but that one isolated, in even concerned that albeit by directional (or so it says online) I've got it on the wrong end of the radiator....

Is the locksheild valve at the other end of the rad fully open?

Sponsored Links
Could the trv valve bi-directional function be either switchable or wrong?? I have detached the valve from the radiator and ran it into a bucket and that worked fine, but that tested water running the opposite way to which it would do when the heating is running....

Sorry if I misunderstand, Did you say the cleanser was added after you flushed the radiators with water then drained out again as boiler wasn't working? Or have I read it wrong

I did have to empty the system out a day after the cleanser had gone in as I was trying to shift the airlock upon previous advice (not on this forum) this was prior to the831bunny giving me the winning advice... so yes, I did waste a bottle of cleanser I suppose, but it was only the no nonsense stuff from screwfix. Bit worried about putting more in if it has made the pump stick like that.. would I be able to free the pump off if it stuck with the cleanser in?

Yes should be able to free same way.

I only highlighted it Incase you thought the system had Been cleansed.

I would leave it in for a day with heating on and then flush it all out like you did before.

Remembering to add inhibitor when all cleaned out and refilling system.

That's great, thanks MrCombi. Have you experience of them no nonsense screwfix brand cleaner or do you use the more expensive brands? I was just wondering if it was as good as the bigger brands.

Sorry to resurrect an old post of mine but it is related. The AAV I mention seems to have given up and started leaking. I have found the part using the part number the831bunny provided. Is it just a simple unbolt old and attach new? Also the new ones appear to be copper but my current old one is plastic, don't see it being an issue will it?

Sorry to resurrect an old post of mine but it is related. The AAV I mention seems to have given up and started leaking. I have found the part using the part number the831bunny provided. Is it just a simple unbolt old and attach new? Also the new ones appear to be copper but my current old one is plastic, don't see it being an issue will it?
The831Bunny said change it , so why didn't you :confused: . why ask for advice and not take ? crack on and change it

He did indeed say change it, and that I am doing... I was just asking if it is as 'simple' as in screw the old and re-attach the new..

The AAVs have always been complete brass body, unless yours isn't a genuine part. It just screws into a ⅜" socket on the end of a chrome pipe. A bit tight to get out of a 221 due to the flue, you may need to hold the chromed socket to stop the copper tube wringing round. Pop a couple of turns of PTFE tape on the thread of the new one to help it screw all the way in.

Thank you the831bunny!! Do you recommend a supplier to use? I've 'googled' the part number and lots have come up including eBay which I'm a bit cautious of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back