Boiler Not Firing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

At arouind 8.30 last night, we noticed that the radiators weren't hot when they should have been, and on further inspection, we realised we had ran out of oil.

So we turned off the timer, and ordered a new supply of oil this morning which has arrived.

However, I've put the central heating on an hour's boost, and the boiler doesn't seem to be firing at all, and radiators are all still cold.

Forgive my ignorance, but do boilers need to be "kickstarted" in any way, or is my other half right in that the boild (not the radiators) needs to be bled to expel any air that is in the sytstem? If so, is this something you can do yourself??

Ta
Phil

Sponsored Links
needs bleeding.

if youre in any way mechanically minded, youll suss it.

If you ran out of oil you will have allowed air to enter the pipe which needs releasing.
I assume you are aware when there is a failure your control box goes to a 'lockout' mode. You have to press the re-set button before you switch on and if it fails you need to wait 2 mins before pressing re-set again and making a further attempt.
If you have re-set it!, when you switch on, the motor and pump should run but it will go to 'lockout' if flash up does not occur within 20 secs.
It might flash up after 2 or 3 trys, but it would help if you bleed off the trapped air. There will be a bleed screw on the oil pump but you may need the pump manual to identify it. You could slacken off the fitting where the oil pipe enters the pump. to ensure you have oil at that point.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back