Boiler not lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Valliant TurboMax 242 (I think, although only has a single temp control for CH and no separate one for HW). Around 15 years old.

Anyway has been working fine for a long time, occasionally I have to top the water pressure up.

Recently it's stopped lighting in the morning so when we wake up no hot water. The timer is all ok, i.e. indicates HW should be on, but nothing.

On the control panel the Ignition light is flashing. When we either reset the boiler or switch it off then on, then all works ok (i.e. lights up fine, no unusual noises etc.) But when it finally switches off again, then the ignition light starts flashing on again after a few minutes.

British Gas man came out, read the manual which said poor water circulaiton and said I needed a powerflush (£800 GBP from BG.)

However that doesn't explain why the system works after the reset, presumably poor water circulation would cause it to cut out if there was a problem. Also none of the radiators have any cold spots on them.

Any ideas, should I powerflush or could it be a component failure, pump, diverter valve?

Cheers

James

Sponsored Links
Ask your nice BG man if this flush will definitely cure your boiler fault. I guarantee the answer is NO.
so you spend £800 and find yourself back where you started albeit a little lighter in the wallet.
I would ask a local guy to come and have a look and give a proper diagnosis of the fault if I were you.
Jeff.

Rang BG back and complained about the first engineer, they sent out a second engineer who did a better job of diagnosing the fault.

It turned out to be a small amount of dirt in the tube which feeds the differential sensor. He cleaned that out and all works perfectly now.

James

Sponsored Links
James, can you post a photo here of the control panel?

Or can any RGI say what model variant this is likely to be?

All that I can remember have two knobs even if a heat only.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back