Boiler off for a month

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a fairly new Baxi boiler (Solo HE15). The house will be unoccupied for about 3/4 weeks in September and I want to turn off the gas at the meter. It says in the handbook that the electricity supply to the boiler can be switched off but doesn't explain how. Is it enough to set the timer to never heat hot water or central heating - does that effectively 'switch off' the boiler?
Presumably there's no need to touch the water supply to the boiler at that time of year as freezing shouldn't be an issue. Anything else I need to do when turning off the gas supply to the boiler?

Sponsored Links
I have a fairly new Baxi boiler (Solo HE15). The house will be unoccupied for about 3/4 weeks in September and I want to turn off the gas at the meter. It says in the handbook that the electricity supply to the boiler can be switched off but doesn't explain how. Is it enough to set the timer to never heat hot water or central heating - does that effectively 'switch off' the boiler?

yup

Presumably there's no need to touch the water supply to the boiler at that time of year as freezing shouldn't be an issue. Anything else I need to do when turning off the gas supply to the boiler?

no

but it wouldnt do ant harm to turn the water off at the stoptap ;)

I need the water on as a neighbour will be watering the garden/ houseplants etc.

When you say fairly new do you mean installed in your tenancy. If so, did your installation engineer not talk you through the controls including the isolation switch,as part of the commissioning procedure, if not he should have
However near the boiler there should be a fused switch or plug and socket for isolation purposes. Is there any wires or plastic trunking coming from the boiler, if so trace it to its source.
Isolate the gas, water and electric

Sponsored Links
Generally modern boilers should NOT have their electricity supplies turned off because they run the pump every 24 hours to stop it getting seized up.

Tony

There is a switch in the airing cupboard. When this is off the timer is off also.
With regards to the 24 hourly pumping - is that independent of the timer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back