Boiler outlet pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour downstairs (I'm in a 2-storey block) has installed a new boiler this week. Immediately we had to close the kitchen window against the clouds of mist rising up. Her installer said that they could no longer use the internal outlet pipe which went up through the roof and releasing into the sky, but had to put an outlet on her kitchen wall. Told them of problem and supposedly they added a divert. Were also told we would only get these clouds when the boiler initially started.

In fact since being in my kitchen this morning, fortunately it's cold enough that the windows are closed, probably every minute there's been an outlet of mist, sometimes as if we're flying in the clouds. I'm assuming it will even continue in the summer so we won't be able to open our windows. I'm concerned abgout the damage this dampness will do to my windows and also the fact that there's no benefit to the view, plus is there anything toxic being released?

Does anyone know what the regulations are? Thanks for any help. Christine

Sponsored Links
HI

simple solution.the boiler can be fitted with pluming kit (special flue)
this will have air inlet in normal place but the outlet can be extended to a safe place away from doors /your window ,etc.

FED UP OF COWBOYS ? TRY INDIANS

My neighbour downstairs (I'm in a 2-storey block) has installed a new boiler this week. Immediately we had to close the kitchen window against the clouds of mist rising up. Her installer said that they could no longer use the internal outlet pipe which went up through the roof and releasing into the sky, but had to put an outlet on her kitchen wall. Told them of problem and supposedly they added a divert. Were also told we would only get these clouds when the boiler initially started.

In fact since being in my kitchen this morning, fortunately it's cold enough that the windows are closed, probably every minute there's been an outlet of mist, sometimes as if we're flying in the clouds. I'm assuming it will even continue in the summer so we won't be able to open our windows. I'm concerned abgout the damage this dampness will do to my windows and also the fact that there's no benefit to the view, plus is there anything toxic being released?

Does anyone know what the regulations are? Thanks for any help. Christine

as long as it mixes with 300mm of fresh air (the minimum clearance between a flue and an opening in a building as per the regs, so therefore cant be dangerous) it wont poison you, however it is a nuisance and could therefore contavene the building regs, as others have said there are plume kits available which will divert the fumes away from the window which could be an option, it is worse in winter as the flue gas temp is high and the outside air is very cold, wont be as bad in summer, but prob still noticeable, discuss the prob with the people downstairs (google boiler plume kit to see what you are on about) and suggest if one was fitted and was ok then you will be fine with the alteration, or your other option is to contact the local building control office and GSR to discuss the problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back