Boiler outlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I live in a terraced house and the house next door to me was renovated last year. The boiler is in next door's utility room and when it is on it sends clouds of white mist over the wall into my yard. Ok, the question is... is this ok? I don't spend any time out in my yard so it's not as though I'm trying to find my way through clouds of mist, but I don't know what the mist is. Steam... fumes? It smells a bit odd. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
The flue exhaust contains mostly air, a proportion of toxic fumes, and some water vapour (hence the mist).

I'm not au fait with siting flue terminals, so without looking it up I'm not well placed to advice, but I would expect to find (and I'm sure someone will be along with specific information on it) that the terminal shouldn't be somewhere that exhausts into someone else living space or garden.

If it turns out to be legal but simply a nuisance, then you could talk to the neighbour about erecting something that would deflect the misty fumes.

If the neighbour isn't helpful, then you have rights that can, if necessary, be enforced - consult your council's Environmental Health department for advice.

The flue exhaust contains mostly air, a proportion of toxic fumes, and some water vapour (hence the mist).

I'm not au fait with siting flue terminals, so without looking it up I'm not well placed to advice, but I would expect to find (and I'm sure someone will be along with specific information on it) that the terminal shouldn't be somewhere that exhausts into someone else living space or garden.

If it turns out to be legal but simply a nuisance, then you could talk to the neighbour about erecting something that would deflect the misty fumes.

If the neighbour isn't helpful, then you have rights that can, if necessary, be enforced - consult your council's Environmental Health department for advice.

There are kits which will take the plume up and above the eves. Suggest this to the neighbours. If they ignore you then get the environmental health people in.

Sponsored Links
There should be at least 600mm from the flue to your boundary, otherwise it is illegally fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back