Boiler overflow & drainpipe - contravening Building Regs? Advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - apologies if this is the wrong section to post in but I wonder if anybody here can help.

I have a problem with my upstairs neighbour but I'm not sure if he is actually in contravention of Building Regulations or not. Its a Victorian house converted into two flats. I own the downstairs flat. There are two issues - my builder has kindly climbed up and taken the photos for me:

1. The upstairs flat owner has had a boiler replaced approx. 1-2 years ago and now has an overflow pipe sticking out at the back of the property which drips onto my small pitched roof - you can see from the attached photo that it is causing damage to the roof tiles. My basic understanding is that this is because its slightly acidic water that comes out of the overflow. Should this pipe go into a gutter/drain rather than just being allowed to drip on my roof and continue to cause damage?

2. He has a flat roof terrace on the second floor. On the terrace he has a drainpipe that is not connected to anything - it just flows down into a bucket - the bucket then quickly overflows when it rains and the water pours down the wall. Is he obliged to have the drainpipe properly connected into the gutter/drain system.

He is refusing to sort either of these out even though I have a leak into my flat and I'm trying to find out where its coming from. Is he actually in contravention of Building Regs with either of these as I'd like something more "formal" to take to him to try and get him to do the work.

Many thanks in advance to anybody who can help
regards
JHL
photo 3.JPG
photo 5.JPG

Sponsored Links
Building regs won't help.

Try your council's environmental protection team to use their powers under the Building Act andor/ Statutory Nuisance for the rainwater downpipe.

For the boiler drip, that might require a private action for nuisance, damages and an injunction to rectify it. Your insurers might help with that.

At the very least, your neighbour should be passing that through something that can restore the pH, but that won't deal with the nuisance.

Sponsored Links
The condensate drain is meant to go to either a waste pipe or a neutralising soak away so therefore his gas monkey has failed to follow the rules for installation. The condensate is no more acidic than tomatoe juice but even so it will cause damage over time.
Soeak to building control- they ought to be able to identify and trace the lasso waving installer and get corgi to inspect his/her work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back