boiler pcb

Sponsored Links
Ok what about those installers that keep & stock pcbs so as they can repair a boiler on the 1st visit ?? instead of having to order one in that might take a while ?? the pcb may be x amount old, out of guarantee !

Some pcbs may go pear shaped due to the house electrics , variations in voltage at certain times ! thats down to the house electrics or other equipment that maybe installed ?

The customers guarantee is with you the installer not your supplier. It is your perogative to keep parts in stock which go unused and you should take the penalty if you knowingly fit a part new from you but already over a year old

Imagine if you bought an Argos telly and it blew up after 10 months. You took it back to them and they said sorry mate out of warranty as we had it on the shelf for three months before selling it to you

The customers guarantee is with you the installer not your supplier.

Not that it makes much difference but the installer's responsibility falls under the sale of goods act, so has to exchange or re-fund the faulty product only. Products are usually guaranteed by the maker. Re-sellers might add to it but are not responsible for the manufacturer's product guarantee.

Sponsored Links
Bottom line is the customer has a boiler which no longer works, the fault has been traced to a faulty part you installed less than one year ago. The customer couldn't give a monkey's toss about your terms with you supplier or their terms with the manufacturer. He simply has a boiler with a less than a year old to him faulty part and rightly doesn't want to pay for it.

you win some you lose some and every now and again you have your pants pulled down that's business I am afraid

I'm not sure but I don't think you'll be obliged to go back and replace a PCB, parts and labour FOC for up to 12 months. Many of us probably do, but I've not heard that you must. Certainly not the labour. Same as manufacturers don't have to give a guarantee. The sale of goods act deals with fit for purpose (up to 6 years or whatever it is), not guarantees. If guarantees were obligatory, manufacturers could not put down clauses, which they do.
Then follows the staement about guarantee not affecting statutory rights. Which seems to infer the guarantee is a voluntary addition on their part.

I'm not sure but I don't think you'll be obliged to go back and replace a PCB, parts and labour FOC for up to 12 months. Many of us probably do, but I've not heard that you must. Certainly not the labour. Same as manufacturers don't have to give a guarantee. The sale of goods act deals with fit for purpose (up to 6 years or whatever it is), not guarantees. If guarantees were obligatory, manufactures could not put down clauses, which they do.
Then follows the staement about guarantee not affecting statutory rights. Which seems to infer the guarantee is a voluntary addition on their part.

Good point ..... :confused:

You try taking a manu to court useing the not fit for purpose excuse ?

Salamander shower pump manus would not replace a faulty shower pump untill it has been inspected !

As far as I am aware a warranty can be as long as u want it to be providing it is established at time of sale !

pcbs assume the house electrics are up to scratch ? some boiler manus will not turn out to any in-warranty fault unless a deposit is left with them prior ! some manus will not even turn up to intermitent faults !

all pcbs are new they might just be old , far as I am concerned I can fix it now 6pm Friday , or wait till monday which will it be , or maybe its Xmas eve , please them selves !
2nd hand parts No charge , warranty till I drive off !

In the good old days before the internet discount stores, I used to put a 25% mark up on all goods I supplied - not robbery, but insurance for having to replace parts free, while I awaited the credit note from the supplier (and also to cover the extra labour cost).

Now everyone knows where they could have got it at near the price I pay. What happened to list and trade prices? Trade prices were earned through loyalty and volume purchases. Why should someone buying ONE boiler every 10 years get the same price as me buying 4 boilers every month? :evil:

Best bet is to let the customer/surfer supply the goods and bill them every time you are on site. It will also teach the so called trade only outlets a lesson, as they have to deal with all the idiot questions, that we as installers/babysitters shield them from. :evil:

Absolutaly spot on, it's time society realized it cant have it's cake and eat it.

Bottom line is the customer has a boiler which no longer works, the fault has been traced to a faulty part you installed less than one year ago. The customer couldn't give a monkey's toss about your terms with you supplier or their terms with the manufacturer. He simply has a boiler with a less than a year old to him faulty part and rightly doesn't want to pay for it.

you win some you lose some and every now and again you have your pants pulled down that's business I am afraid

Thats why we should be charging "proper" rates and making the difference between trade and retail, not charging customers the price we paid for it and
stupid £10.00 per hour rates like so me other ******s.

Thats why we should be charging "proper" rates and making the difference between trade and retail, not charging customers the price we paid for it and
stupid £10.00 per hour rates like so me other ****.

Agreed

Your rates should allow for some contingency when it comes to replacing parts at your cost and possible lost labour time

Anyone reading this thread should be aware that those who have replied above have not made their involvement clear.

Obviously a "customer" would like and expect a long and full warrantee.

Any engineer would not want to give that unless he has taken a stance that he will sustain losses to keep his customers happy or adds a markup to the price.

The reality is that manufacturers do in theory give a warrantee on spare parts like PCBs. Unfortunately the spare parts merchants DO not pass this warrantee on to the engineers!

There is a very good reason for this. Many engineers are unable to properly identify a boiler fault and blindly replace a PCB if they think it may be faulty of if they see burning marks on it.

Many faults on a PCB are caused by other faults like gas valves or fans etc. so a new PCB will just blow again. The manufacturers obviously cannot cover replacement oif their parts which were not faulty. The number of faulty new PCBs is very low, perhaps 1-3% but its still a number. They are not always a complete failure but sometimes unable to be set to particular parameters or similar software problems.

In the interests of fairness to all, it is unreasonable for the engineer to provide any warrantee on the PCB if he is not making any markup on it. On the other hand he should if he is charging the "retail" price which can be about 20% more.

Its not the engineer's fault if ANOTHER part fails six months later and takes out the new PCB.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back