boiler pcb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I had my boiler pcb replaced by a local heating engineer 5 months ago. It has now developed a new fault and the same heating engineer has told me he will have to send it back to his supplier for assessment and this could take ages and they may not even agree to replace it. In the meantime if I want it working he will have to fit another new one at my cost because no fitters guarantees pcb's. Is that true? Have I got to pay for the new one myself until the supplier has had time to look at and confirm the original one was faulty? (by then I can't get my money back for the latest replacement and I cant guarantee my engineer will tell me if he gets any money back off his supplier. It all seems a bit unsatisfactory from a consumer point of view so I wondered if you experts out there can help me regarding the guarantee of pcb's. Is my guy being up front about this? Surely consumer rights mean that pcb's must be guaranteed by the guy who fits it??? My contract is with him and his suppliers parts quality is surely his problem?

Sponsored Links
Hi all. I had my boiler pcb replaced by a local heating engineer 5 months ago. It has now developed a new fault and the same heating engineer has told me he will have to send it back to his supplier for assessment and this could take ages and they may not even agree to replace it. In the meantime if I want it working he will have to fit another new one at my cost because no fitters guarantees pcb's. Is that true? Have I got to pay for the new one myself until the supplier has had time to look at and confirm the original one was faulty? (by then I can't get my money back for the latest replacement and I cant guarantee my engineer will tell me if he gets any money back off his supplier. It all seems a bit unsatisfactory from a consumer point of view so I wondered if you experts out there can help me regarding the guarantee of pcb's. Is my guy being up front about this? Surely consumer rights mean that pcb's must be guaranteed by the guy who fits it??? My contract is with him and his suppliers parts quality is surely his problem?

Sound's like bull

Is your guarantee with the installer or the supplier ?

my installer bought the part from his supplier so I assume it should be him to guarantee it?

I would honour the guarantee and replace the PCB free of charge I would then return the PCB to the Supplier and extract the cost from him, he in turn would extract the cost from the manufacturter if however the PCB is found not to be at fault then no one gets a refund but that is down to your boiler engineers diagnosis being incorrect so I dont see why you should pay for this repair. we have built our business on trust and fair play

we charge well for what we do, and give a genuine gaurantee on whayt we do... I thought every one else did? :confused:

Sponsored Links
my installer bought the part from his supplier so I assume it should be him to guarantee it?

Then the installer should install you a new one FOC and take up the issue with his supplier if the part is guaranteed he will get a credit note from his parts source

I paid the installer the full amount for the new pcb including fitting it. he gave me the appropriate receipt.

All suppliers are obliged to replace faulty PCB's within any maker's guarantee period. Labour won't be included unless specified otherwise. Suppliers will only refuse to take back PCB's that have been wrongly ordered eg. not required after purchase.

thanks wangerman. Thats what I thought. I may have a job getting hom to agree though.

Thanks also boilerman2. At least some people out there are honourable about these things!

What price did he give you the last PCB for? And what for the new one?

In the good old days before the internet discount stores, I used to put a 25% mark up on all goods I supplied - not robbery, but insurance for having to replace parts free, while I awaited the credit note from the supplier (and also to cover the extra labour cost).

Now everyone knows where they could have got it at near the price I pay. What happened to list and trade prices? Trade prices were earned through loyalty and volume purchases. Why should someone buying ONE boiler every 10 years get the same price as me buying 4 boilers every month? :evil:

Best bet is to let the customer/surfer supply the goods and bill them every time you are on site. It will also teach the so called trade only outlets a lesson, as they have to deal with all the idiot questions, that we as installers/babysitters shield them from. :evil:

Hi Joe-90. He charged me £275 for a Potterton FF60 PCB supplied and fitted. He is proposing to fit me a recon version now to "save ME some money".

Ok what about those installers that keep & stock pcbs so as they can repair a boiler on the 1st visit ?? instead of having to order one in that might take a while ?? the pcb may be x amount old, out of guarantee !

Some pcbs may go pear shaped due to the house electrics , variations in voltage at certain times ! thats down to the house electrics or other equipment that maybe installed ?

In the good old days before the internet discount stores, I used to put a 25% mark up on all goods I supplied - not robbery, but insurance for having to replace parts free, while I awaited the credit note from the supplier (and also to cover the extra labour cost).

Now everyone knows where they could have got it at near the price I pay. What happened to list and trade prices? Trade prices were earned through loyalty and volume purchases. Why should someone buying ONE boiler every 10 years get the same price as me buying 4 boilers every month? :evil:

Best bet is to let the customer/surfer supply the goods and bill them every time you are on site. It will also teach the so called trade only outlets a lesson, as they have to deal with all the idiot questions, that we as installers/babysitters shield them from. :evil:

Yep I am with beerlover , good post , spot on :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back