Boiler plus compliance - smart controls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I rent out a small mid terrace and the tenant (disabled/on benefits) is applying for a new boiler via Npower ECO. The current WB240 is chugging along but is pretty ancient so may not be a bad thing from my point of view. They have suggested that there may be a contribution towards the 'free' boiler - this is going to be down to me. They won't tell me how much and and what for but have hinted at things like new gas pipe, pipe runs (if replacing back boiler), condensate runs, etc (and vaugely suggested that £1000 may be typical).
In my case it's a straight swap - located next to sink plumbing, gulley right outside, gas pipe in 22mm only 1.5m from the meter. The obvious for me is the controls/timer - currently it's just the clock on the boiler and trv's.

I think the 'contribution' may be a bit of a scam, especially as there seems to be little detail on how it's calculated - it's determined by the installer when they do their technical survey - I have a feeling that my 'contribition' will be to upgrade the controls at whatever price they see fit.

I am wondering whether it's worth pre-empting this by getting it done myself, ie fitted a smart control. If so can anyone recommend a suitable one - bearing in mind it will need to meet one of the requirements of Boiler Plus as any install will be post April.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
When you say "smart" control, are you thinking of something Internet connected, or a load compensating control which can modulate the boiler? If you want something Internet connected then the Honeywell T6R is a good option, if you want load compensation then the T4R will suffice, provided the boiler you're having fitted is OpenTherm compatible. Getting it done in advance is a good idea as you only need to pay 5% VAT rather than 20% for a standalone controls upgrade

Hi, I'm afraid it's all rocket science to me - but to be one of the four additional measures to comply with boiler plus it has to be:

"Smart control with automation and optimisation."

Plus it will need to provide the basic timer/thermostat function.

I don't know what boilers Npower may fit under this scheme (but suspect budget/midrange) so don't know whether opentherm compatible.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back