Boiler Pop!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Ravenheat 820/20 makes a loud sharp pop or bang after the CH has been on and is cooling doen. I think it may be the Diverter Valve sticking? No problems with heating or HW but when a bath has been run the pilot goes out after HW is stopped...? Connected~??

Sponsored Links
shadowlight2010 said:
My Ravenheat 820/20 makes a loud sharp pop or bang after the CH has been on and is cooling doen. I think it may be the Diverter Valve sticking?
Why do you think that?

shadowlight2010 said:
No problems with heating or HW but when a bath has been run the pilot goes out after HW is stopped...?
When was the appliance last serviced?

I dunno.. just think it sounds like a mechanical sound and don't know what else to think.. it may be coming from the silver unit where the reset button is located.. ie the white knob I have to press to refire the pilot.. but why does it make this sharp sound.. the pilot doesn't go out?

shadowlight2010 said:
I dunno.. just think it sounds like a mechanical sound and don't know what else to think.. it may be coming from the silver unit where the reset button is located.. ie the white knob I have to press to refire the pilot.. but why does it make this sharp sound.. the pilot doesn't go out?

Thinking is a wonderful thing, though the urge to share those thoughts sometimes needs curbing :oops:
The sound you hear is the sound of the overheat stat operating, which extinguishes the pilot, hence the need to reset it before relighting.

The problem is the boiler is overheating, caused by lack of circulation. The cause of this may be a poorly performing pump, and the poor pump performance may be due to an excess of crud in the system, and in the pump. Replacing the pump will therefore give only temporary respite.

Firstly, do you have crud in the system - sample the water from a rad?

Sponsored Links
I'll drain a bit off and let you know.. the boiler only kills the pilot after a bath.. central heating still runs fine regardless.. last engineer said it was lilely a furred heat exchanger.. its hard to know what to think!!
Gary

The heating works fine.. house is 3 bed edwardian.. all rads are nice and hot.. although I must admit they are a tad cooler down the bottom (means some sludge??) Te pump runs after the hot water is switched off.. sending the hot water down the central heating route but this doesn't prevent the overheating..
Central Heating never goes off.. although the 'popping' sound happens..
If it is sludged can it be cured by powerflushing or rather perhaps you could reccommend a solution? The boiler is 10 to 15 years old (so I have been told).
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing .. as they say!

I think your last engineer was correct as you have described the symptoms perfectly.

Why do you doubt his judgement?

Do you think that all gas engineers are rogues?

Tony

Tony.. not at all.. just that I had one guy say it may be a faulty thermostat.. another say it may be a sensor.. I must admit a furred heat exchanger makes sense.. even to a layman like me.. I have drained a little water from a Rad and its pretty clear.. slightly sudsy like it has alka seltzer in it.. (is that corrosion inhibitor?)
Is this an expensive repair to get a heatexchanger cleaned? I am hoping to gut the kitchen and refit it in the spring/summer so i am hoping the boiler will see out the next few months..
Have to say its a tough machine.. (Ravenheat 820/20)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back