Boiler pressure doesn't top up - Worcester 4000 - Help needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I hope you're all well. I need some help in topping up the bo
IMG20240420215903.jpg
iler water pressure please. I have a Worcester 4000 boiler installed. I've checked and it has a flexible hose installed underneath with only one valve that is currently open but the water pressure doesn't increase which is unusual as I remember on my previous boiler I used to open this valve to top up the pressure. Could anyone please point me towards the solution. I've attached the pictures below showing the valve and the pipework. I've also attached the pictures showing the current pressure showing current pressure as 1.5 bar and that the minimum pressure in 0.7 bar and maximum pressure set at 1.0 bar. Could it be that because the maximum pressure is set at 1.0 bar the boiler doesn't allow for the pressure to be topped up until the boiler pressure drops below 1.0 bar even though the black valve is open
IMG_20240420_224734.jpg
IMG20240420215903.jpg
IMG20240420215737.jpg
?
Many thanks in advance for your time and advice. Kind regards
IMG20240420215651.jpg
IMG20240420215359.jpg
IMG20240420215854.jpg
IMG20240420215410.jpg

Sponsored Links
There is a valve at both ends of the flexible hose

The other one has a slot that you turn 90 degrees with a large screwdriver.

Like the black knob, the valve is open when the slot is in line with the pipe, and closed when it lies across it.

BTW, if you polish off the green corrosion round those pipe joints with a damp green nylon pan scourer and a rag, they should stay clean. If corrosion or scale recurs, you have an active leak.

Hi John, thank you very much for the advice. I'll clean the pipes and see if this recurs.
IMG_20240421_001940.jpg

In relation to the valves on the Flexi pipe I could only find three valves. Black one, the the two marked in the picture above although the the one on the left side is actually on the copper pipe. I initially thought that the black valve is in open position but I suspect I was wrong. I changed the target system pressure to 1.6 bar whilst the boiler status was showing 1.4 bar. And then turned the black valve clockwise. I could hear the water noise filling up the system and the pressure on the boiler status went up from 1.4 bar to 1.5 bar whilst it was switched off. Would you reckon that this was the reason I couldn't top the pressure up previously and has it been done right now? Cheers

Sponsored Links
If the valves were not all open, that would explain the system not filling.

You must close both the valves on the hose when finished. The one on the left probably supplies tapwater as well, in which case it must be open.

Understood. Thank you very much once again. I can sleep without the worry now :)

Whilst I was away from home the pressure once dropped and gas engineer came to top it up and charged £50. I wanted to figure out why it wasn't topping up when I was on the video call instructing someone to do it just so that I don't have to pay another £50 if the pressure drops again.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back