Boiler pressure drop of 0.1bar in 2months

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Ideal boiler dropped in pressure from 1 bar to 0.8 over the last 2 months. Is this anything to worry about please?
I can't find any leaks anywhere but onelow radiator pipe joint seems greasy.

Sponsored Links
No, I just open the filling loop. I did have a leak at a radiatorwhich took the pressure to zero. Should I have added something after this was fixed when I repressurised it, and how do I do this? Would a gas engineer be safest to do the job? Thanks.

That level of leak isn't anything to be overly worried about, if it is a leak. Your heading saying 0.1 bar, even then though that could be something as simple as a drop in the pre-charge pressure of the EV.

Get the boiler serviced and ask the service bod to add in some inhibitor.

Keep an eye on it meantime

Sponsored Links
I had it serviced at the end of February when the pressure was set at 1bar. Now when it is cold it is 0.9ish. I have to flick the gauge to read it as it seems to get stuck (it is a mechanical clock face type gauge). You are probably correct about finding something else to worry about but I am terrified of missing a leak anywhere or being without hot water. Think this is because other things in life are causing so much stress. Thank you for your reassurance. It sounds like there is probably nothing to fix at the moment and I will try to stop obsessively checking the pressure gauge.

Pressure drops can be very subjective, depending on the size of the system. If my system, combi with 4 rads, loses 0.2 bar, it takes about 1 second of opening the filling loop to recharge it, about 1/4 of a teacup. A larger system with the same drop would be a significantly larger leak.

The pressure guages /sensors on boilers are all very cheap pieces of shoite they are not very accurate if you fire the boiler and watch the guage /reading it will change as the temp rises, you dont have a leak , just leave it alone, your boiler will have a safety shut down if the pressure gets too low so get the christmas decorations out and check the bulbs just in case :LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
I have a combi boiler and 10 radiators. The pressure gauge goes to 0.8 when the central heating is not used for a few hours, but seems to rise to 0.9 sometimes. When the heating is on the little lever flickers around 1.8 bar.
I am really, really grateful for your advice. It's easy to say not to worry about something but not easy to actually do it. I have british gas homecare so repairs are free. I think this makes me look for problems to be solved sometimes. ☺. Thanks again.

Have attached a slightly blurry picture of the presuure gauge type if anyone is interested!!

Attachments

• DSC_0094.JPG
    DSC_0094.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 115
If you're paying for BG homecare repairs are prepaid, not free.

Are you saying the system is 0.8 or 0.9 when cold and 1.8 when on?

Vulcancontinental, that's exactly what the readings are, but 2 months ago it didn't ever go below 1 bar. Just want to know if I should ask bgas to come and look!

Vulcancontinental, that's exactly what the readings are, but 2 months ago it didn't ever go below 1 bar. Just want to know if I should ask bgas to come and look!
Yep do that, they will tell you it needs an £800 power flush or a new boiler

If you're paying for BG homecare repairs are prepaid, not free.

Are you saying the system is 0.8 or 0.9 when cold and 1.8 when on?
Yes that is exactly it, but this has decreased from 1.0when cold and 2ish when the heating is on. The decrease has occurred gradually over about 10 weeks. I just would really like to know if this is cause for concern (is there likely to be a leak somewhere or is a component failing) or is this a normal drop that occurs over time. Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back