Boiler Pressure Dropping!!! HELP!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI

I ve got a Ferroli Optima 801 combi boiler and over the last few weeks the pressure has been dropping on it. It only seems to drop when the heating is turned off. When it is running it normally sits AT 1.5 BAR but when turned off it has gone down to 0.5 BAR. I ve at to top it up 2/3 times since about the 19th December. I have had a good look around the rads, fittings and pipework but can't see any leaks. I ve had a look at that pipe that comes off the boiler and then goes outside and thats dry.

I called Npower out ( I pay £15 a month for homecare 50) over christmas and they didn't really have a look at anything and just told me I had a leak and to get some leak stopper to put in the system, which I did but still no joy.

I think it must be something wrond with the boiler. Surely if there was a leak I would see it coming through the ceiling???

Anyone any suggestions what this could be? any feedback will be greatly appreciated

Regards James

Sponsored Links
It sounds like it could be the pressure vessel that is faulty.
The vessel is usually at the back of the boiler and is a really nasty job to do.
Could be the reason why N/power legged it so quickly! :D

if, instead of topping it up, you turn it back on, does the pressure come back up?

are there signs that water has been coming out of the vent pipe that usually goes through the wall behind the boiler?

do any pipes run under the ground floor, where you might not notice a leak?

thanks for the replys,

when i turn it back on the pressure I have lost when it's been off reflects it on the pressure guage. So for example ;- 1.5 bar when on. turn it off, gets to 0.7 bar and turn it back on again and then it only goes to 1.3 bar.

So whatever pressure I lose when it's off, I lose when i turn it back on

if that makes sense????? ha ha

I've had a look aound the boiler and it's bone dry

the only pipes that go under the floor are the ones upstairs so I would see a leak coming through the ceiling

Sponsored Links
1. Keep the worksheet that states they put leaksealer in the system. It may cause problems with a combi.

2. Get them back to check the pressure vessel for charge and presence of water in it.

I am not a plumber but aren't there problems adding leak-stoppers to combis? Aren't there small holes in some PRV or something that can get bunged up?

my girlfriend got in tonight and the pressure was on 0.3 bar and the heating and hot water is now not working.

She topped it up to just over 1 bar buy it still isn't coming on. Could the pressure vessel be anything to do with this or do you think it is something else as well?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back